Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

This came out of nowhere, crazy
    But it makes sen$e when you look at the Southland Conference map (Texas and Louisiana teams) as compared to the WAC map (spread throughout six Western states, from Texas all the way up to Washington state). UTRGV will save on travel costs. And who knows, they might even win some basketball games. LOL
    Last edited by crixus; 03-21-2024, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

But it makes sen$e when you look at the Southland Conference map (Texas and Louisiana teams) as compared to the WAC map (spread throughout six Western states, from Texas all the way up to Washington state). UTRGV will save on travel costs. And who knows, they might even win some basketball games. LOL
      Oh, I don't doubt it at all-- flying from border to border can't be cheap. I was just under the impression that all the Texas schools in the WAC were there because they DIDN'T want to be in the Southland, so I never expected any of them to move.

Gotta give credit to the Southland though-- to lose 5 of your members in one fell swoop and somehow end up in a more stable place than you started is a pretty impressive feat.

Comment

• UTRGV has never been in the Southland and didn't join the WAC by choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
          UTRGV has never been in the Southland and didn't join the WAC by choice.
          They were forced to join the WAC?? Which government institution forced them to join??

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

They were forced to join the WAC?? Which government institution forced them to join??

Comment

Oh, I don't doubt it at all-- flying from border to border can't be cheap. I was just under the impression that all the Texas schools in the WAC were there because they DIDN'T want to be in the Southland, so I never expected any of them to move.

Gotta give credit to the Southland though-- to lose 5 of your members in one fell swoop and somehow end up in a more stable place than you started is a pretty impressive feat.
              I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

• D3 Birmingham Southern to close. Birmingham-Southern to close - D3sports

Comment

• Findlay (D2) and Bluffton (D3) are going to merge - though each campus will retain their athletic departments.
                  The reason behind the University of Findlay and Bluffton University merger (13abc.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    Findlay (D2) and Bluffton (D3) are going to merge - though each campus will retain their athletic departments.
                    The reason behind the University of Findlay and Bluffton University merger (13abc.com)
                    Well that seems odd.....and strange.

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

Not to mention weird.....and confusing

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

It's not the first time something like this has been tried, and I think we'll see more of it in the future - but I'm not sure how feasible of an approach this is.

Comment

• Northern Vermont - that was the big one I was thinking of. They retained both Lydon and Johnson's athletic departments.

I also believe Minnesota North tried to retain athletics at their campuses but I'm not sure how that ended up.

The weird one is Arkansas State which maintains two football teams in two different countries, though I think ASU in Mexico isn't actually ASU and just uses the name.

Anyway, I think campus mergers are going to become a bigger deal as the landscape of higher education shifts around. Campuses can maintain identities while admin costs are cut. I don't know how well that's going to work without overhauling each branch campus, but that seems to be a direction we're going.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Northern Vermont - that was the big one I was thinking of. They retained both Lydon and Johnson's athletic departments.

I also believe Minnesota North tried to retain athletics at their campuses but I'm not sure how that ended up.

The weird one is Arkansas State which maintains two football teams in two different countries, though I think ASU in Mexico isn't actually ASU and just uses the name.

Anyway, I think campus mergers are going to become a bigger deal as the landscape of higher education shifts around. Campuses can maintain identities while admin costs are cut. I don't know how well that's going to work without overhauling each branch campus, but that seems to be a direction we're going.
                            Happened recently with another D2 school just last year too-- Bloomfield merged with D3 Montclair State, and both schools were allowed to keep their respective athletics programs. Bloomfield just cut half their sports though, so maybe not a ringing endorsement of the procedure.

Comment

Happened recently with another D2 school just last year too-- Bloomfield merged with D3 Montclair State, and both schools were allowed to keep their respective athletics programs. Bloomfield just cut half their sports though, so maybe not a ringing endorsement of the procedure.
                              Bloomfield was good in men's basketball this year, but baseball... they canceled all their non-conference games and finally opened the season yesterday, losing a doubleheader to Jefferson 0-22 and 0-35.

Comment

Without knowing the particulars, I think one or both will have to be forced to cut back. I just don't see how they can maintain two athletic departments if they're having enough trouble to where they need to merge.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X