Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Bloomfield was good in men's basketball this year, but baseball... they canceled all their non-conference games and finally opened the season yesterday, losing a doubleheader to Jefferson 0-22 and 0-35.
    Wow! And that's one of the few sports they're keeping next year too, if I remember right... Future seems pretty bleak for them over there, yikes

Comment

• Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

Well that seems odd.....and strange.
      And conflicting?

Comment

• Would all the teams share athletic facilities? Would Bluffton play all its games at Findlay? Or are both schools and buildings entirely staying open as is, but just going to merge finances, essentially?
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          The weird one is Arkansas State which maintains two football teams in two different countries, though I think ASU in Mexico isn't actually ASU and just uses the name.
          Arkansas State-Queretaro is part of ASU and sponsors several varsity (by Mexican NCAA-equivalent standards) teams, including football.

ASU-Queretaro played Texas Wesleyan (NAIA) in an exhibition in Fort Worth a couple of years ago.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Arkansas State-Queretaro is part of ASU and sponsors several varsity (by Mexican NCAA-equivalent standards) teams, including football.

ASU-Queretaro played Texas Wesleyan (NAIA) in an exhibition in Fort Worth a couple of years ago.
            I think it's more complicated than that. I think ASU-Q is a privately funded institution that's overseen by ASU. It's kinda tough to get information on how it works - I'm always a little leery of public colleges operating campuses internationally, so I've always been curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
              Would all the teams share athletic facilities? Would Bluffton play all its games at Findlay? Or are both schools and buildings entirely staying open as is, but just going to merge finances, essentially?
              I think the net effect of the merger process is a consolidation of administrations (and finances) into one entity. So instead of having two independent institutions with two independent administrations, they will have one administration overseeing two campuses.

In theory, Bluffton and Findlay would retain their athletic departments and facilities and act as two separate teams. In practice, I don't see that being sustainable long term - so who knows.

But I also don't know the specifics of this particular case. On the JUCO side, there was a big merger in Minnesota of 6 campuses - and the campuses with sports retained their athletic departments and operate in that fashion.

Comment

I think the net effect of the merger process is a consolidation of administrations (and finances) into one entity. So instead of having two independent institutions with two independent administrations, they will have one administration overseeing two campuses.

In theory, Bluffton and Findlay would retain their athletic departments and facilities and act as two separate teams. In practice, I don't see that being sustainable long term - so who knows.

But I also don't know the specifics of this particular case. On the JUCO side, there was a big merger in Minnesota of 6 campuses - and the campuses with sports retained their athletic departments and operate in that fashion.
                The three PASSHE/PSAC schools which merged into Pennsylvania Western University (California, Clarion and Edinboro) still have separate athletic programs despite being (in theory) under one administration. Same with the Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania campuses (Bloomsburg, Lock Haven and Mansfield). Depending on the financial situation at both schools, it's possible both programs can be sustainable, but as we're seeing with the Bloomfield/Montclair State merger, it's not necessarily the case as D2 Bloomfield appears to be cutting programs, unlike D3 Montclair State.
                Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

The three PASSHE/PSAC schools which merged into Pennsylvania Western University (California, Clarion and Edinboro) still have separate athletic programs despite being (in theory) under one administration. Same with the Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania campuses (Bloomsburg, Lock Haven and Mansfield). Depending on the financial situation at both schools, it's possible both programs can be sustainable, but as we're seeing with the Bloomfield/Montclair State merger, it's not necessarily the case as D2 Bloomfield appears to be cutting programs, unlike D3 Montclair State.
                  It's possible, but if the financial situation is bad enough at one or both institutions so they need to merge, I can't imagine the status quo will maintain after the merger.

Only time will tell in situations like these.

Comment

• I'm not sure if this was covered or not - but Northland (WI) is on closure watch. They were informed that they need to raise $12 million by April 3rd in order to avoid closure.

Expert explains risk if Northland College closes (northernnewsnow.com)

Comment

I'm not sure if this was covered or not - but Northland (WI) is on closure watch. They were informed that they need to raise $12 million by April 3rd in order to avoid closure.

Expert explains risk if Northland College closes (northernnewsnow.com)
                      The staff don't sound too optimistic. Sorry to hear that.

Comment

• University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Waukesha Campus will be closing.

UWM Waukesha campus closure; University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee responds to enrollment challenges (wisn.com)

They were members of the WCC, but it looks like they had already dropped sports. University of Wisconsin-Plattevile, Richland Campus closed in 2023 and was also a former WCC school.

The WCC is down to four full-time members and one associate member, when they had 13 until 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

The staff don't sound too optimistic. Sorry to hear that.
                          They weren't given a lot of time to raise the money unfortunately. There are efforts, but without an extension - $12 million in that short time span is going to be nearly impossible without some massive donations.

They have a decent football setup - only an 8 year old facility.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            D3 Birmingham Southern to close. Birmingham-Southern to close - D3sports
                            It's sad that Birmingham Southern is shutting down. I've been to Birmingham and it's a pretty cool city. All of these college closings are disheartening.
                            Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Bloomfield was good in men's basketball this year, but baseball... they canceled all their non-conference games and finally opened the season yesterday, losing a doubleheader to Jefferson 0-22 and 0-35.
                              Giving up 57 runs and scoring 0 in a DH is probably a CACC record. They've lost two more since then, 17-5 and 26-2 to Dominican. They need the Mercy Rule.
                              Last edited by crixus; 03-29-2024, 10:36 PM.
                              Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

Giving up 57 runs and scoring 0 in a DH is probably a CACC record. They've lost two more since then, 17-5 and 26-2 to Dominican. They need the Mercy Rule.
                                That reminds me when I was like 12 and our rec league baseball team got whooped like that. Even if it was a 7-inning game, it’s a lot of standing out there in the field for hours and hours while the other team keeps scoring. Just about the most boring thing I can think of, it’s near impossible to keep attention through that. No mercy rule either…didn’t have it in the 80s.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X