Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
    Doesn't work that way. The receiver that transferred from Pitt a couple years ago didn't show up until a week or two into camp and he was with the 1's from the time he got there. THAT is how it works. jus sayin
    And this could have played a part in why 3 WRs decided to leave IUP at the season end.
    Last edited by ShoNuff; 01-25-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Nazir Streater is the newest member of the Hawks ........ https://liupostpioneers.com/roster.a...&path=football Have at it. jus sayin
      A pretty good addition to IUP. I am wondering why he's chose to transfer to IUP vice staying at LIU-Post for opportunity to play at the FCS level. Could be that bottom-line cost to continue his education there, who knows. Anyways, a pretty good addition to IUP.

Comment

Mekhi Lang WR/DB from Archbishop Ryan ( https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9950928...026619b85ececd ) has committed to IUP, via his twitter account.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
          Again, I am not saying any newly transfer player SHOULD NOT play. I am saying just don't immediately stick them ahead of guys that's been here at the start of camp! Make people earn the start/playing time.
          It depends on the transfer. A lot of these game-changing transfers arrive with a body of work that says they are better than the other players who are already on the team. That's why we get transfers, especially "D1 transfers." IUP has thrived on these types of acquisitions for a long time. SRU did last year. Cal is in that category, as well. But not all transfers just walk into a starting role. As an example, there is no point in making Max Redfield "earn it." I think we are really breaking this down to a basic level but in the end better is better.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
            It depends on the transfer. A lot of these game-changing transfers arrive with a body of work that says they are better than the other players who are already on the team. That's why we get transfers, especially "D1 transfers." IUP has thrived on these types of acquisitions for a long time. SRU did last year. Cal is in that category, as well. But not all transfers just walk into a starting role. As an example, there is no point in making Max Redfield "earn it." I think we are really breaking this down to a basic level but in the end better is better.
            SRU doesn't take transfers. SRU is above transfers. SRU looks down upon those who take transfers. Or, so I heard from somewhere.

Times sure change.

Comment

And I have no beef with that. Max Redfield was a highly recruited and starter for the University of Notre Dame. So yes Groundhog, I wouldn't have too much beef in placing him in a starting position come Day One of camp, because as you stated, he is coming with a body of work. But for "team/locker room chemistry purposes" I wouldn't have mind them starting Max on 2nd team from 1st day of camp BUT by mid or end of the 1st week he's now running with the 1st team. Either way, I would not mind it at all because of his body work. I am speaking about transfers that has zero body of work that come into camp and is immediately given a starting position Day One of Fall Camp ONLY because he's D-1 transfer, in front of players that's been in the system for a couple of years. It may work out to some extent on the field, but it could play a part in a split sidelines/locker room. I am NOT saying these transfers should not eventually play nor start over players already on the team, but at least allow them to work for it, or make it appear like they are. The players will have more respect for their fellow coaches and feel like they were given a fair chance.

Comment

And I have no beef with that. Max Redfield was a highly recruited and starter for the University of Notre Dame. So yes Groundhog, I wouldn't have too much beef in placing him in a starting position come Day One of camp, because as you stated, he is coming with a body of work. But for "team/locker room chemistry purposes" I wouldn't have mind them starting Max on 2nd team from 1st day of camp BUT by mid or end of the 1st week he's now running with the 1st team. Either way, I would not mind it at all because of his body work. I am speaking about transfers that has zero body of work that come into camp and is immediately given a starting position Day One of Fall Camp ONLY because he's D-1 transfer, in front of players that's been in the system for a couple of years. It may work out to some extent on the field, but it could play a part in a split sidelines/locker room. I am NOT saying these transfers should not eventually play nor start over players already on the team, but at least allow them to work for it, or make it appear like they are. The players will have more respect for their fellow coaches and feel like they were given a fair chance.
                Here's the other part, though.

What all gets promised and sold to these imports while they are getting recruited?

If every school is telling them they are a Day 1 starter and IUP is telling them they'll be starting 3rd string with D2 walk-ons ... might not land many of those recruits.

The legit P5 transfers ... Redfield, Ian Park ... those are pretty rare.

Glorified guys like this scout team WR from PSU that SRU just got ... those types should have likely been in D2 all along anyway. The vast majority of these imports coming down ... are coming down for a reason. Typically they weren't good enough for that level.

The Frank years were a different story. Frank was getting a lot of legit D1 talent -- many of which had what some would call 'baggage'.

Seniority should mean diddly in football. It leads to complacency. This team was also a vastly underachieving, mental trainwreck last season -- one that quit in the last game. There shouldn't be a single job secure.

Comment

Nazir Streater is the newest member of the Hawks ........ https://liupostpioneers.com/roster.a...&path=football Have at it. jus sayin
                  The question is whether he is coming to play RB or DB? I know he's mostly played DB at Post BUT if you look closer he did get a few carries last season.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    The question is whether he is coming to play RB or DB? I know he's mostly played DB at Post BUT if you look closer he did get a few carries last season.
                    DB. They have Samir, Justice and Duane Brown back. Help is needed on the other side.

Comment

I agree with all that. In Redfield's unique case something tells me it was handled appropriately from the start because he had the respect of everybody. I'm not sure how it was earned but he definitely had respect across the board. All situations are not the same but using Redfield as an example IUP had a projected starter at Safety ( I can't recall his name) and when it was announced (with much hoopla) that Max was coming in that Safety knew he was getting bumped. That happens.

Comment

As for the QB situation at IUP sometimes you bring in a transfer when the cupboard is bare and you don't have other good options. I don't think that's the case going into 2019. Do they need a stopgap until the two youngsters mature? From what I've seen I don't think that would benefit IUP in the long run. There is a short run and a long run. You're replacing a 4 year starter at QB so there is going to be uncertainty. I don't have a problem going into the season using both QB's if it's a case where neither has emerged as the #1. The situation could take longer to evolve. The only kind of QB transfer I think they could use would be someone from a P5 program who is slotted behind another guy with no prospects for starting and wants out of that situation.

Comment

My hunch is they suspect that one of these two won't be here after the spring. In that case they have to add a transfer.

I don't personally think they offered the IHS QB to actually play QB here, either. To me he's more of a Mike P. type.

Just remember the tranfer recruiting cycle has several phases -- now, end of spring ball, spring grades, summer arrests, etc.

Comment

As for the QB situation at IUP sometimes you bring in a transfer when the cupboard is bare and you don't have other good options. I don't think that's the case going into 2019. Do they need a stopgap until the two youngsters mature? From what I've seen I don't think that would benefit IUP in the long run. There is a short run and a long run. You're replacing a 4 year starter at QB so there is going to be uncertainty. I don't have a problem going into the season using both QB's if it's a case where neither has emerged as the #1. The situation could take longer to evolve. The only kind of QB transfer I think they could use would be someone from a P5 program who is slotted behind another guy with no prospects for starting and wants out of that situation.
                            Shades of 2014. That was an utter and complete disaster. It nearly tore the entire program apart. If you do bring in a D-I transfer----then you damn well bring in a real, legit D-I talent. Hopefully this lesson is still being absorbed by the current coaching staff.

And to me a younger QB with potential takes precedence over some marginal transfer who is only here for a year or two and who isn't much of an answer for the long-term well-being of the program. It is my sincere hope that the lesson of 2014 is one that is NEVER forgotten.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Here's the other part, though.

What all gets promised and sold to these imports while they are getting recruited?

If every school is telling them they are a Day 1 starter and IUP is telling them they'll be starting 3rd string with D2 walk-ons ... might not land many of those recruits.

The legit P5 transfers ... Redfield, Ian Park ... those are pretty rare.

Glorified guys like this scout team WR from PSU that SRU just got ... those types should have likely been in D2 all along anyway. The vast majority of these imports coming down ... are coming down for a reason. Typically they weren't good enough for that level.

The Frank years were a different story. Frank was getting a lot of legit D1 talent -- many of which had what some would call 'baggage'.

Seniority should mean diddly in football. It leads to complacency. This team was also a vastly underachieving, mental trainwreck last season -- one that quit in the last game. There shouldn't be a single job secure.
                              I REALLY hope coaches are not lying to players by telling them they will be starting, especially incoming freshmen. I do believe the coaches are probably telling them they have a chance to compete for that position. But if they are lying to players then shame on them.

And I 100% agree with you on your "seniority" comment. Especially after what happen last year I REALLY hope that all positions are wide open for competition. But that's just how it should be anyways. REALLY hope they allow the 2 current QBs to compete for the starting spot, whether they bring in a transfer or not.
                              Last edited by ShoNuff; 01-26-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                My hunch is they suspect that one of these two won't be here after the spring. In that case they have to add a transfer.

I don't personally think they offered the IHS QB to actually play QB here, either. To me he's more of a Mike P. type.

Just remember the tranfer recruiting cycle has several phases -- now, end of spring ball, spring grades, summer arrests, etc.
                                I have taken a look at the IHS QB's highlights a few times (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5420314...e6a20c68d4dac6 ), I just don't believe he's quite similar to Mike P. (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/926280/...5e6812249564e3) . I believe he could be a QB down the road. Now that Kyle Sheets from Conneaut Area (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5498431...2296153c405e54 ) could be a Mike P. But I am not sure if he may commit to IUP since he has other offers from Slippery Rock, Mercyhurst and PWO offers from Penn St and Ohio U.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X