Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Aren't you the guy who always brings up the academic casualties from last year? I guess we are all ready to finally turn the page from 2018.

DDB seems like a quality recruit. Highly touted but a little on the small side. I see him listed at 5'10" 200.
    His size is a little off on his HUDL page, etc. It was likely listed during his junior season. He's a little over 6'0 and probably about 205 lbs now. He's really a 'nose for the ball' type LB and is a player who is everywhere. He played through a lot of injuries this season and missed a couple games. Very tough RB, too, but I doubt they use him on offense. Obviously he'd be a FB if they did. I have no doubt he'll be a special teams impact guy this coming season on coverage, etc.

And, yes, the great academic casualty of 2018 was a disgrace. We aren't exactly Harvard. That had a huge impact on last season.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieman View Post
      Correct, the new 4 game redshirt rule applies to Division 1 Football only at this time (they are looking into expanding it to other Division 1 sports) ....... you can use the new redshirt rule in any year (not just freshman) as long as you have not previously redshirted.
      Thank you all VERY much for the clarification!

Comment

Must have missed that, when did he say it? Pretty easy to say when you know the kid probably won't be eligible anyway most likely trying to protect the kid's privacy. All I know is what the plan was for him last spring. Obviously that didn't quite go as planned. jus sayin
        Last edited by BallHawkin; 01-28-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          My hunch is they suspect that one of these two won't be here after the spring. In that case they have to add a transfer.

I don't personally think they offered the IHS QB to actually play QB here, either. To me he's more of a Mike P. type.

Just remember the tranfer recruiting cycle has several phases -- now, end of spring ball, spring grades, summer arrests, etc.
          The IHS QB was offered by Millersville over the weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
            Must have missed that, when did he say it? Pretty easy to say when you know the kid probably won't be eligible anyway most likely trying to protect the kid's privacy. All I know is what the plan was for him last spring. Obviously that didn't quite go as planned. jus sayin

Spring or summer. Said the plan all along was to redshirt Brown because the plan was to use Drew Harris in the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
              Spring or summer. Said the plan all along was to redshirt Brown because the plan was to use Drew Harris in the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Oh ....... surprising if true but certainly by summer he would have known Brown was in trouble so maybe he was just preparing for the inevitable ..not even the most optimistic of fans (let alone the Head Coach) who had the opportunity to watch the past few years was counting on Harris to be remotely a factor in the offense. Played small WHEN he played. There is a perfect example of a D2 guy that was way over recruited. jus sayin

Comment

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
                Oh ....... surprising if true but certainly by summer he would have known Brown was in trouble so maybe he was just preparing for the inevitable ..not even the most optimistic of fans (let alone the Head Coach) who had the opportunity to watch the past few years was counting on Harris to be remotely a factor in the offense. Played small WHEN he played. There is a perfect example of a D2 guy that was way over recruited. jus sayin
                My understanding is that they were hoping to get some production from Harris during goal line/short yardage situations, or even possible some reps on defense. Just very unfortunate the young man was injured once again after working very hard to get back to form.

Last early Spring in the Indiana Gazette there was an article on Brown stating he was going to be moved to the secondary:

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...ddab783d8.html

With all the injuries they had at RB last year I just wonder if they plan to keep him at DB or bring him back to the once crowded backfield. I think they will probably continue to practice him at DB but have him ready to return to the backfield if needed.

Comment

Latest two commits:

Marcus Might, DE, Seneca Valley

Tyler Mangone, DL, North Allegheny

Also, Swahneek Brown has left the team.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                    Thanks for posting these videos. I watched them both and very much liked what I saw.

Regarding Luke Thomas---I have to agree with Groundhog and those who liked his tape. He moves very well and can really sling that ball around. Nice release. Plenty of big school experience as a four year starter. I see him primarily as a QB. You mentioned Mike Pietropola, yeah, I agree he is not in his mold. Pietropola's tape completely blew me away four years ago to the point that I watched it five or six times. It wasn't so much that he was an outstanding throwing QB (not bad) but what an incredible athletic specimen. His four years at IUP bear that out. He was amazing from an athletic standpoint. Thomas has the look of a QB. He may very well be worth the look as a QB to develop on IUP's depth chart.

Kyle Sheets, now he is in that Pietropola mode. Wow! What an incredible athlete he is. He screams WR to me all the way. He could be a good one, too. He sort of seems to have that Riley Stapleton mold about him. I don't know what level ball he was playing at, but he does have a lot of athletic attributes. I probably don't see him as a QB at the D-II level just based on what small sampling we got. But I would love to see him in a Crimson jersey with his athleticism, size as a WR, KR, and who knows, maybe even running some wildcat if practicable.

We need to get IUP24 to take a look and breakdown the tape and resume his role as the Mel Kiper Jr. of the PSAC. :laugh:

-
                    I agree 100% with WR, I don't see QB much in his future. I could also see him playing Safety, even tight end depending on the need of the team. Sheets is a talent though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                      My understanding is that they were hoping to get some production from Harris during goal line/short yardage situations, or even possible some reps on defense. Just very unfortunate the young man was injured once again after working very hard to get back to form.

Last early Spring in the Indiana Gazette there was an article on Brown stating he was going to be moved to the secondary:

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...ddab783d8.html

With all the injuries they had at RB last year I just wonder if they plan to keep him at DB or bring him back to the once crowded backfield. I think they will probably continue to practice him at DB but have him ready to return to the backfield if needed.
                      I don't see how there is any chance he doesn't play running back. Bullock looked to be hurt badly on one of the last plays of the debacle vs Ship (why he was still in the game only Tort or the OC can say, no matter the "excuse" it was asinine) so who knows when or even if he will be ready to play. Justice can't carry that kind of workload so it's going to be Brown and whatever young guy steps up. If Bullock isn't ready and they don't get a kid that can come in and play right away at this position look for at least one transfer to be brought in to help out. jus sayin

Comment

Leonard Robinson, Athlete, Clairton ... headed to IUP

6'2", 190 lbs

Played all over the field for Clairton last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post
                          I don't see how there is any chance he doesn't play running back. Bullock looked to be hurt badly on one of the last plays of the debacle vs Ship (why he was still in the game only Tort or the OC can say, no matter the "excuse" it was asinine) so who knows when or even if he will be ready to play. Justice can't carry that kind of workload so it's going to be Brown and whatever young guy steps up. If Bullock isn't ready and they don't get a kid that can come in and play right away at this position look for at least one transfer to be brought in to help out. jus sayin
                          IUP needs to have performance at the RB position. Bullock's health and Brown's eligibility status are major areas of concern. Who knows in a couple months we might be talking about a transfer RB moreso than a QB.

Just based on my recollection and looking at the boxscores from last year Bullock's injury history is as follows: In 2017, even though he rushed for 1253 yeards he was hampered for most of the season with an unidentified foot injury. Those kinds of things can be chronic and never really overcome. I think he was still bothered by that in 2018. Then in the Cal game in 2018, I believe, Samir suffered a knee injury. It was thought he might be lost for the season but he came back about 4 weeks later but was nowhere near 100%. This is a concern in 2019 and I think the foot situation might be more of a problem than the knee. This is mere speculation on my part but I hope he is 100% healthy for 2019. If he is healthy then he can be a dominant player. We have to know whether we can count on these guys, though.

Comment

Kind of an interesting blast from the past tidbit that I ran into last evening in the archives of the local edition---

****************May 3, 1984*******************

A picture of IUP legendary QB Rich Ingold taking a snap at Miller in his #2 IUP uniform with the cool Indian helmet. The caption read "Back Under Center" as IUP went through spring drills. It went on to say that the IUP football team would play a scrimmage against IUP alumni for the spring game. The alumni team was to be coached by NFLer Big Jim Haslett.

I thought this was kind of a cool concept. Does anyone remember this? Was it the only year that something like this was done or was it a common practice back in the day? It would be a very interesting thing to bring back to at least ramp up some interest in the game. Though I don't know how practical it would be to be honest to get guys away from the game to want to go against young bucks in top physical form.

Just thought I would share it.

-

Comment

Kind of an interesting blast from the past tidbit that I ran into last evening in the archives of the local edition---

A picture of IUP legendary QB Rich Ingold taking a snap at Miller in his #2 IUP uniform with the cool Indian helmet. The caption read "Back Under Center" as IUP went through spring drills. It went on to say that the IUP football team would play a scrimmage against IUP alumni for the spring game. The alumni team was to be coached by NFLer Big Jim Haslett.

I thought this was kind of a cool concept. Does anyone remember this? Was it the only year that something like this was done or was it a common practice back in the day? It would be a very interesting thing to bring back to at least ramp up some interest in the game. Though I don't know how practical it would be to be honest to get guys away from the game to want to go against young bucks in top physical form.

-
                              Certainly does sound like a great thing, unfortunately probably a thing of the past. Can you imagine if Justice Evans turns his ankle in an alumni game? I recall decades ago at Edinboro that NCAA athletes were not permitted to participate in intramural sports for that reason.

Comment

-

Liability and insurance disaster

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X