Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check what Auburn gave Gus to 'go away'

Lol ... staggering amount of money ($21.7m).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Check what Auburn gave Gus to 'go away'

Lol ... staggering amount of money ($21.7m).
      Poor Gus is crying all the way to the bank.

Comment

• Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

Poor Gus is crying all the way to the bank.

$21 big ones and he's done with that fanbase and circus of an administration. If he wants to ... he could have a job by XMAS.

Comment

Narduzzi has made Pitt a very consistent 6-7 win team.

He also lost two games this year by two combined points.

Sometimes it just is what it is. PSAC football comparison ... Pitt is Mercyhurst. Capable of a big upset but usually a game above .500

Whipple needs put on a raft down the Ohio.
          Consistency is good. The W/L% isn't great but that keeps a program from embarrassment. Much more likely for them to go from 7-5 to 9-3 than to start over with a new staff, a new QB to match the scheme, etc. At least Pickett was a homegrown QB rather than their usual '2 and done' QB transfer program.

Did we miss that Kenny Pickett's parents are PSAC alumni? Dad played football at Ship and mom played soccer at Kutztown. Sister played soccer at Doudsburg.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Consistency is good. The W/L% isn't great but that keeps a program from embarrassment. Much more likely for them to go from 7-5 to 9-3 than to start over with a new staff, a new QB to match the scheme, etc. At least Pickett was a homegrown QB rather than their usual '2 and done' QB transfer program.

Did we miss that Kenny Pickett's parents are PSAC alumni? Dad played football at Ship and mom played soccer at Kutztown. Sister played soccer at Doudsburg.

Pickett also hasn't ruled out coming back next year. I'd love to see them get an actual full season out of him.

If he leaves this year, he'll get drafted. But, it will be in the 6th or 7th round. If he could play a full season next year at Pitt ... his stock could possibly rise to a Round 3.

We saw it this year ... they are a completely different team with him. I think they lost all three games he missed.

I agree the Duz shouldn't be let go (nor will he with that buyout). While he is maddening at times, a rebuild or reset isn't the answer. He has his highest ranked class yet lined up (not that it really means anything yet until the paper is signed).

The freshman WR (Addison) will likely make the Freshmen All-America team. He's special. I really hope Pickett stays one more year. Recall his actual 'freshman' year was one game. They had to burn his redshirt to play Miami in the finale (which he won). It's a shame that was the rule at the time. So, playing-wise and developmentally, this was really his junior season.

Comment

Pickett also hasn't ruled out coming back next year. I'd love to see them get an actual full season out of him.

If he leaves this year, he'll get drafted. But, it will be in the 6th or 7th round. If he could play a full season next year at Pitt ... his stock could possibly rise to a Round 3.

We saw it this year ... they are a completely different team with him. I think they lost all three games he missed.

I agree the Duz shouldn't be let go (nor will he with that buyout). While he is maddening at times, a rebuild or reset isn't the answer. He has his highest ranked class yet lined up (not that it really means anything yet until the paper is signed).

The freshman WR (Addison) will likely make the Freshmen All-America team. He's special. I really hope Pickett stays one more year. Recall his actual 'freshman' year was one game. They had to burn his redshirt to play Miami in the finale (which he won). It's a shame that was the rule at the time. So, playing-wise and developmentally, this was really his junior season.
              All Excellent Points! H2P!

Yeah, I hear ya----I really hope Pickett comes back for another year. Agree he could really raise his draft stock with a solid season next year.

Comment

• I hope Pickett doesn't end up a Steeler. He's just another Rudolph.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                  I hope Pickett doesn't end up a Steeler. He's just another Rudolph.
                  I agree. The Steelers already have Rudolph, Dobbs, and the Duck on their QB payroll. Pickett is likely no more than a backup/journeyman NFL QB.

Steelers have some needs in the draft for sure. Probably many revolve around added depth/future needs:

-A stud RB

-A quality QB capable of replacing Big Ben in a few years

-Big and sturdy TE who can actually catch and block

-Restock the O-line with a quality prospect

-Desperate needs for more OLB and ILB. Dupree is likely to leave and he needs replaced. Much more depth is needed after the horrific thinning of these position groups.

-Always could use a talented CB

-Upgrade at S for Edmunds

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I agree. The Steelers already have Rudolph, Dobbs, and the Duck on their QB payroll. Pickett is likely no more than a backup/journeyman NFL QB.

Steelers have some needs in the draft for sure. Probably many revolve around added depth/future needs:

-A stud RB

-A quality QB capable of replacing Big Ben in a few years

-Big and sturdy TE who can actually catch and block

-Restock the O-line with a quality prospect

-Desperate needs for more OLB and ILB. Dupree is likely to leave and he needs replaced. Much more depth is needed after the horrific thinning of these position groups.

-Always could use a talented CB

-Upgrade at S for Edmunds
                    They will be a trainwreck soon. Same as the Pens. Total bebuilds.

Comment

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that. Certainly one obvious thing that they MUST do is competently replace Big Ben when he hangs it up within the next few years. Do they want to find someone in the draft or maybe they want to try and roll the dice with a trade on one of these young highly drafted QBs like Sam Darnold or Carson Wentz who look to be on their way out of their respective towns. I have no answer on that.

They do have a very nice core of young and talented players----JuJu, Dionate Johnson, James Washington, Claypool, Dotson, Bush, Watt, Fitzpatrick, et al

But now they have to find a way to sign these players. It's great that they drafted well in 2017 but now the bill is about to come up due. Watt and JuJu could command very big contracts. Conner could probably be signed much, much cheaper if he chooses to stay. It would be great to keep Dupree but that is going to be real tough from a dollars standpoint. He is not only a beast on the field but everyone's best friend in the lockeroom. Guys like him are not easy to find. Probably the last one they had in that mold was Jerome Bettis.

They have offseason work to get done from a front office standpoint but there is certainly talent here if they can find a way to keep it intact. The need to find a quality replacement for Big Ben is paramount to future success. The Steelers failed to replace Terry Bradshaw (passed on Dan Marino) and spent over 20 years in the NFL wilderness without a franchise QB. They need to get someone in here.

Comment

I'm not sure if I quite agree with that. Certainly one obvious thing that they MUST do is competently replace Big Ben when he hangs it up within the next few years. Do they want to find someone in the draft or maybe they want to try and roll the dice with a trade on one of these young highly drafted QBs like Sam Darnold or Carson Wentz who look to be on their way out of their respective towns. I have no answer on that.

They do have a very nice core of young and talented players----JuJu, Dionate Johnson, James Washington, Claypool, Dotson, Bush, Watt, Fitzpatrick, et al

But now they have to find a way to sign these players. It's great that they drafted well in 2017 but now the bill is about to come up due. Watt and JuJu could command very big contracts. Conner could probably be signed much, much cheaper if he chooses to stay. It would be great to keep Dupree but that is going to be real tough from a dollars standpoint. He is not only a beast on the field but everyone's best friend in the lockeroom. Guys like him are not easy to find. Probably the last one they had in that mold was Jerome Bettis.

They have offseason work to get done from a front office standpoint but there is certainly talent here if they can find a way to keep it intact. The need to find a quality replacement for Big Ben is paramount to future success. The Steelers failed to replace Terry Bradshaw (passed on Dan Marino) and spent over 20 years in the NFL wilderness without a franchise QB. They need to get someone in here.
                        They may have a chance with Bud now. That ACL cost him a lot of coin. Ben's cap hit next year is enormous. Just thinking out loud instead of giving him $41m could you give somebody as you mentioned maybe $15m and invest the rest in other places? I know they won't get rid of him and he'll determine when he's done.

But, the downside of all those home runs in consecutive drafts is those rookie contracts don't last forever. Time to get paid. Here or somewhere else.

Comment

They may have a chance with Bud now. That ACL cost him a lot of coin. Ben's cap hit next year is enormous. Just thinking out loud instead of giving him $41m could you give somebody as you mentioned maybe $15m and invest the rest in other places? I know they won't get rid of him and he'll determine when he's done.

But, the downside of all those home runs in consecutive drafts is those rookie contracts don't last forever. Time to get paid. Here or somewhere else.
                          You are right---it is going to be tough signing all the talent they have. I guess they could technically franchise Dupree again or just make him a lucrative two or three year offer. I doubt they can sign both he and Watt to long term deals. You obviously would want to keep Watt above all else.

Comment

Any other year I would guarantee they draft O-line early but this year is different. They have a ton of free agents after this season to try and sign to go with Ben's 41 million cap hit next year. It's going to be very interesting what they do this off season. This might be the last good run for a few years. Cleveland and Baltimore are definitely trending up with their rosters.

Free agents:
                            OL: Feiler, Villanueva, DeCastro (1 year left), Banner, Hawkins
                            WR: JuJu, McCloud
                            RB: Connor, Edmunds
                            QB: Ben (1 year left), Dobbs

DL: Alualu, Wormley
                            LB: Dupree, Ola, Williamson, Spilane,
                            CB: Sutton, Hilton
                            S: Allen, Dangerfield, Davis, Brooks

I only named mostly key cogs other than safety where it will be Fitz/Edmunds and that's it. No Depth!!! Could be a crazy offseason!

Comment

• Big news for Pitt in that QB Kenny Pickett has announced that he will return to the program next year! That is great to hear. Also a very smart move for himself.

Source: Harry Psaros

Comment

Big news for Pitt in that QB Kenny Pickett has announced that he will return to the program next year! That is great to hear. Also a very smart move for himself.

Source: Harry Psaros
                                That is big news. If healthy The Duz should get to 8 wins (instead of his traditional 6).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X