Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I was talking about bowls, and nobody voted on what bowl you went to in those days. If you were the Big Ten champion you went to the Rose Bowl. Didn't matter if you were ranked 1st or 21st. And the conference had much better overall balance then. The playoffs might well be a better way to pick a national champion (if they have a true playoff), but in the end it's all about big money these days. The media hype of the current four-team playoff has just made a few powerful teams all that much bigger.
    I just don't see the March Madness element to a football playoff. Major upsets are going to be so, so rare. It will amount to some 8-12 seeds getting completely walloped on a regular basis.

But, it will initially create a buzz and the TV rights will sell for millions and millions of dollars -- which, is the whole point of this anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I just don't see the March Madness element to a football playoff. Major upsets are going to be so, so rare. It will amount to some 8-12 seeds getting completely walloped on a regular basis.

But, it will initially create a buzz and the TV rights will sell for millions and millions of dollars -- which, is the whole point of this anyway.
      I disagree - but in March Madness we see less of them anymore because the P5 schools have found ways to dilute the impact of playoff expansion. Upsets will happen - but the NCAA has to reassert control and give equal protection to G5 conferences and the public has to have some grace for schools from the lesser conferences. Screw independents. There were a few upsets in conference championship games this year, so there's no reason it can't or won't happen in a 12+ school playoff.

Imagine all your life your football team championships are determined by equal-access playoffs then you get to play at the highest level and your team is deemed not good enough to compete for the championship at that level because of geography or program revenue strength. Then if you're really lucky you get to play professionally where the champion is determined - wait for it - by an equal access playoff.

The CFP (and previously the BCS) is a cartel designed to consolidate power around the highest-revenue (and TV revenue generating) schools & conferences - with HEAVY, HEAVY influence from ABC/ESPN because ESPN owns about 60% of the bowl games. Outright owns them. The older traditional bowls are owned by non-profits, regional chambers of commerce, visitors bureaus, etc. to draw tourism and raise money for local charity. The load of crap bowls are designed to fill TV time on the ABC & ESPN networks during the holidays.
      Last edited by Fightingscot82; 12-15-2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Clements is staying put at Kutztown. Unsure about the process (because they're private), but they've hired Yale OC Kevin Cahill.

Comment

• RMU, who laid a goose egg this year, released their 2023 schedule. Their annual mercenary game is Air Force (the former president was an all american RB in the early 90s) but the real head scratcher is Sept 23 against Virginia University of Lynchburg, a very small historically Black Bible college. They play in the USCCA, not even NAIA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            RMU, who laid a goose egg this year, released their 2023 schedule. Their annual mercenary game is Air Force (the former president was an all american RB in the early 90s) but the real head scratcher is Sept 23 against Virginia University of Lynchburg, a very small historically Black Bible college. They play in the USCCA, not even NAIA.
            That's hilarious.

Comment

RMU, who laid a goose egg this year, released their 2023 schedule. Their annual mercenary game is Air Force (the former president was an all american RB in the early 90s) but the real head scratcher is Sept 23 against Virginia University of Lynchburg, a very small historically Black Bible college. They play in the USCCA, not even NAIA.
              Grand Valley would have paid them or so I am told.

:-)

Comment

Clements is staying put at Kutztown. Unsure about the process (because they're private), but they've hired Yale OC Kevin Cahill.
                Ship has just hired Scott Brisson, Lehigh's former offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Comment

• Quite a circus building around North Carolina QB Drake Maye. Reports saying he's been offered $5m by two different schools to transfer. He's not in the portal so that's all underground stuff.

Comment

Quite a circus building around North Carolina QB Drake Maye. Reports saying he's been offered $5m by two different schools to transfer. He's not in the portal so that's all underground stuff.
                    It’s getting completely out of hand. I was talking to a DI baseball coach tonight and he said they can’t even shop the portal because kids want full rides and $50k in cash! We’re not talking LSU or Vanderbilt here either. This isn’t headed to a good place when it comes to competitive balance in collegiate athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

It’s getting completely out of hand. I was talking to a DI baseball coach tonight and he said they can’t even shop the portal because kids want full rides and $50k in cash! We’re not talking LSU or Vanderbilt here either. This isn’t headed to a good place when it comes to competitive balance in collegiate athletics.
                      It's now the era of, "I gotta get mine." Entitlement is killing this world!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

It's now the era of, "I gotta get mine." Entitlement is killing this world!
                        Sounds like Gannon basketball (despite the 0-8 record and all).

Comment

Sounds like Gannon basketball (despite the 0-8 record and all).
                          Remember when people were questioning Joe not recruiting Ike Herster since he was in Joe’s back yard. Well, you’re seeing those reasons I stated in full force now!

Comment

• Kedon Slovis to BYU

Comment

Not too much of a head-scratcher to me. VUL played a slate of D-I schools last year:

https://vul.prestosports.com/sports/...22-23/schedule

As you can see, they generally do not fare well . But perhaps RMU is trying to get at least one victory under their belt in 2023.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

EyeoftheHawk - you GOTTA be KIDDING !!! I mean....Baseball is not a Head Count sport, and these kids are asking for a full ride AND money? WOW!! I thought it would certainly get out of hand with the Head Count sports (Football and Basketball), but I did not consider the other sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X