Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Yeah but how much time would media heads be beating down their SOS?
    What does that have to do with anything? The media doesn't pick the teams.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    There's a 13-0 football team that almost didn't make it.
    So teams with the best records should be in the playoffs, not necessarily those deemed to be the best teams?
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
      Put in all the league champions and then select the top-ranked teams after that.
      That sounds easy enough in theory. But if there are two at-large spots, there's likely to be more than two teams in the mix, and then you're back to the same problem we started with, just further down the line.

Comment

Yes, and I'd argue both Shepherd and Ferris deserved to be there.
        But Shepherd didn't even win its division this year, let alone its conference. By your plan, Shepherd could have been left out.

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Since they own a couple dozen bowls, ESPN has a lot of money to potentially lose if a playoff flops.
        ESPN has broadcast rights to the entire CFP.
        Last edited by Matt Burglund; 12-14-2021, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

That sounds easy enough in theory. But if there are two at-large spots, there's likely to be more than two teams in the mix, and then you're back to the same problem we started with, just further down the line.
          No. I'm assuming a larger, FCS-style playoff as I said in my original post, which would mean a dozen or more teams after the conference champions. I also said that never will happen. Since they've already talked about a 12-team playoff, for that I'd include the P5 champions, reserve at least one spot for the highest ranked Group of 5 team, and then select the highest-ranked teams for the final six spots. They're always going to argue over who gets left out. They have 68 frickin' teams in the basketball playoff, and some want to expand it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
            No. I'm assuming a larger, FCS-style playoff as I said in my original post, which would mean a dozen or more teams after the conference champions. I also said that never will happen. Since they've already talked about a 12-team playoff, for that I'd include the P5 champions, reserve at least one spot for the highest ranked Group of 5 team, and then select the highest-ranked teams for the final six spots. They're always going to argue over who gets left out. They have 68 frickin' teams in the basketball playoff, and some want to expand it again.
            best teams into a bracket.

Comment

What does that have to do with anything? The media doesn't pick the teams.

So teams with the best records should be in the playoffs, not necessarily those deemed to be the best teams?
              If you think the national media doesn't influence the selection you're crazy. I'm also not saying its strictly teams with the best records. I'm saying that in spite of Cincinnati winning every game on their schedule, there are some who were advocating for them to be left out. They should be in under the current structure because they're undefeated. In my design they should be in because they won their conference.

Comment

But Shepherd didn't even win its division this year, let alone its conference. By your plan, Shepherd could have been left out.

ESPN has broadcast rights to the entire CFP.
                I can advocate for different styles of playoffs for different divisions. I'm not saying the FBS model should be the DII model. In fact I'm arguing the opposite. I want something more similar to FCS and D3: win your conference and use criteria to fill out the remaining spots.

My point about ESPN is that they have so much at stake with the current system. Its not just about the broadcast rights for the little dinky 4 team playoff. They also own many of the newer junk bowl games, so its in their interest to keep the system as is.

Comment

• Craig Reynolds Highest graded RB in Week 14 (min. 25 snaps)

Watch him run:https://twitter.com/i/status/1470166462929199122

Comment

best teams into a bracket.

Comment

• I agree. The current system and anything that supports the P5/G5 caste system also exacerbates that gap and creates an artificial barrier for programs to elevate themselves. But the remnants of the BCS cartel will always work to exclude those they view as unworthy.

Comment

I agree. The current system and anything that supports the P5/G5 caste system also exacerbates that gap and creates an artificial barrier for programs to elevate themselves. But the remnants of the BCS cartel will always work to exclude those they view as unworthy.
                        You guys both are 100% correct. However ...

The College Football Playoff is not owned or managed by the NCAA, as the basketball tournaments and FCS, D2 and D3 football playoffs are. The CFP was created by the 10 FBS conferences, five with seats at the Big Kids Table (P5) and five with seats at the Little Kids Table (G5). It exists to do two things: crown what it deems to be the national champion, and to make as much money as possible for its conferences, schools, and partners (mainly ESPN).

You are absolutely right that it is not inclusive of every school or conference in its selections, and it creates artificial tiers that some schools may never overcome. But those are the unintentional consequences.

The NCAA exists to do many things, include spread opportunities and share income, but it has no control over the CFP. For years, they were begged to create a D1 playoff, and they did not. So the conferences did it themselves. Maybe the NCAA could recognize all the money flowing to the CFP and create its own tournament based on the ideals you support. But I doubt the Alabamas, Ohio States, or Oklahomas of the FBS world would stray from the gravy train. In fact, I'd say the clock is ticking on an imminent fracture of D1 where the P5 schools break off and form their own governing body.

Comment

Out of curiosity, how many teams would you like to see in the playoff and how would you choose them?
                          Not that you are asking me, but I'd like to see a 16 team playoff with all 10 FBS conference champions and 6 at-large teams. Also, all games through the semifinals would be played at the higher seeded team's stadium. (The championship game would be at a rotating neutral site. The bowls could still exist for teams that either don't make the playoff or are eliminated in the first round or quarterfinals.)

If the people running DI-A/FBS would push back against so many automatic bids for conference champions, then I'd like to see a 16 team field where the top seven conference champions (most likely the five P5 conference winners and top two G5 conference champs) are guaranteed spots and any other G5 conference champions ranked in the top 24/25 teams receive earned access into the playoffs.

Comment

• Primetime just landed the No. 1 ranked recruit in America to Jackson State.

Wow

Comment

• I'd like to see the group of 5 conferences have an 8 team tournament instead of the crappy bowl schedule about to start. A goup of 5 championship tournament. It would have to make more money and have more interest than the next week or so of bowl games.

The one thing I like about not having a bigger 1A championship bracket is the regular season means so much more in college football. It's basically an elimination tournament all season. I think you could go up to 8 teams and still keep the excitement of the regular season.

I'd think anyone making money off big time college football would want the biggest bracket possible. A 16 team tournament would be 15 playoff games compared to 3 currently.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Primetime just landed the No. 1 ranked recruit in America to Jackson State.

Wow
                                I wonder if he signed his NIL with Prime Inc already too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X