Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up on the role of athletics at PASSHE schools.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202102010075

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      Follow-up on the role of athletics at PASSHE schools.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/202102010075
      So maybe the state should fund scholarships...like Its afforded to Grand Valley and Northwest Misery by their states....

Comment

• New release today says there will be no changes to names, colors, mascots, etc. Centralized senior leadership and common strategies (such as admissions). The West group will create a "fourth campus" that is entirely online bachelors degrees to compete for adult students, people who started but never graduated from any college, etc. The East group will work on professional skill-based certificate programs that are more applied and less time-intensive than the traditional master's programs.

Keeping the names & traditions is huge. Smart move. I like the online strategy but really the system should have been on that years ago.

Comment

• Bloom president is now also the interim president of Lock Haven.

https://bunow.com/board-of-governors...rim-president/

Comment

• Hanna said the NCAA decision on all integrated schools maintaining independent athletics programs could come as early as next week. That's an important decision.

https://www.inquirer.com/education/s...-20210204.html

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              Hanna said the NCAA decision on all integrated schools maintaining independent athletics programs could come as early as next week. That's an important decision.

https://www.inquirer.com/education/s...-20210204.html
              And that decision has got to be in the affirmative or we're going to have problems.

Comment

• Comment

And that decision has got to be in the affirmative or we're going to have problems.
                  I think we're going to have problems anyways. This doesn't feel like a drastic reimagination of higher education. It feels like taking 3 schools as is and minimally integrating them with very limited changes.

There are large initial Integration costs. I just don't see where the drastic cost savings will come from, or how amount of students will drastically increase.

The time frame also doesn't seem realistic with all that needs done.

I mean I hope this works, but I'm skeptical.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

I think we're going to have problems anyways. This doesn't feel like a drastic reimagination of higher education. It feels like taking 3 schools as is and minimally integrating them with very limited changes.

There are large initial Integration costs. I just don't see where the drastic cost savings will come from, or how amount of students will drastically increase.

Agreed. Someone is going to have to be in charge at each campus. I bet that if finances can rebound this plan is ditched.

Comment

• Off direct topic but scathing article in Gazette today over the IUP Journalism dept.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Off direct topic but scathing article in Gazette today over the IUP Journalism dept.
                        Here it is. She makes some good points and if it's true it's unacceptable.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...2ad2cbc39.html

I've never seen Driscoll as very good for IUP. If you think of the illustrious leaders IUP has had as President in the past, he isn't that.

Starting with Willis Pratt, Hassler ('69-'75), Wilburn (went on to incredible heights in his career), Worthen (Worthen Arena at Ball State), Welty (long-time Prez of Fresno State after IUP), these guys had vision. I feel like Driscoll is just a placeholder (for the past 10 years). I'd like to see somebody Make IUP Great Again. Driscoll has always been a good citizen of the PASSHE.

Comment

I've never seen Driscoll as very good for IUP. If you think of the illustrious leaders IUP has had as President in the past, he isn't that.

Starting with Willis Pratt, Hassler ('69-'75), Wilburn (went on to incredible heights in his career), Worthen (Worthen Arena at Ball State), Welty (long-time Prez of Fresno State after IUP), these guys had vision. I feel like Driscoll is just a placeholder (for the past 10 years). I'd like to see somebody Make IUP Great Again. Driscoll has always been a good citizen of the PASSHE.
                          He's sports friendly. That's about all I can say about him. Other than that, he's played the role of Titanic Captain.

Comment

• Driscoll and every other president is staring down a sh*t sandwich right now. The only way for meaningful cuts is to cut jobs. There's not one alternative cut he could make that wouldn't result in hurt feelings and outrage.

As for presidents, he's about as good as they'll get anymore. I've been on the official committee to hire a PASSHE president and it was a total waste of time, energy, and emotion. It doesn't matter what the clear obvious needs of a campus are, the faculty union has the most power at curating the finalists and they promote the antiquated view that a president must come from the academic house. I had a sitting president of a PA school, an Edinboro alumni, tell me he was passed over for even a first round interview for the Edinboro presidency. The system has a reputation for labor strife and bureaucratic lethargy. Plus low pay (for the industry) and limited independence. You're going to get first time presidents using it as an internship for better jobs and those who are there for a reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Yea. Seems like the big plan to save the PASSHE boils down to "shared services" (which schools were allegedly doing already), staff cuts and eliminating some underutalized majors. That and "spread the pain" among two groupings of three schools.

Seems like this whole effort was a deflection...Focus on 6 schools while ignoring the other schools in the system most of whom are also having budget and enrolment problems.

At the end of the day the whole process is more about buying time and hoping that enrollment improves than truly fixing the problems.
                              Last edited by boatcapt; 02-07-2021, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Those guys had state money to play with....and IUP and a more prominent status in Harrisburg.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X