Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    The NCAA released some stats that just about 50% of players who entered the transfer portal actually signed with a new team.
    Couple of points...the report was D1 athletes only, the 49% transfer to other schools represents the all-sports transfer number. For Basketball the transfer to another program number is 65% (with 6% believed to have returned to their old school), D1FBS it's 54% successful transfer (with 5% believed to have returned to their old school), D1FCS it's 36% successful transfer (6% believed to have returned to their old school).

Couple of gross takeaways at least from the football numbers. The Delta between successful FBS and FCS transfers is surprising. Just speculating that the DII successful transfer % would continue that downward number. Second point, it looks like the "returned to their old school" percentage is relatively consistent in the 5-6% range. I would expect to see a similar number for DII basketball and football. Shocking to me that the % of players entering the portal who do not transfer and who do not return to their old school is very high. I would expect to see the same for DII when they are included in the report. BOTTOM LINE takeaway for fans who had a player enter the portal...The chances of him coming back are very low. If we were talking a 3 point shooter, that would equate to 1 for 20 for 3 points beyond the arc...for a QB it would equate to a stat line of 2 for 40 for 25 yards and 2 picks!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 04-27-2022, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Couple of points...the report was D1 athletes only, the 49% transfer to other schools represents the all-sports transfer number. For Basketball the transfer to another program number is 65% (with 6% believed to have returned to their old school), D1FBS it's 54% successful transfer (with 5% believed to have returned to their old school), D1FCS it's 36% successful transfer (6% believed to have returned to their old school).

Couple of gross takeaways at least from the football numbers. The Delta between successful FBS and FCS transfers is surprising. Just speculating that the DII successful transfer % would continue that downward number. Second point, it looks like the "returned to their old school" percentage is relatively consistent in the 5-6% range. I would expect to see a similar number for DII basketball and football. Shocking to me that the % of players entering the portal who do not transfer and who do not return to their old school is very high. I would expect to see the same for DII when they are included in the report. BOTTOM LINE takeaway for fans who had a player enter the portal...The chances of him coming back are very low. If we were talking a 3 point shooter, that would equate to 1 for 20 for 3 points beyond the arc...for a QB it would equate to a stat line of 2 for 40 for 25 yards and 2 picks!
      Great points all around. I was surprised by the low number of portal students who return to their school, but maybe I shouldn't be. There's a reason they're in the portal and maybe a lot of those returners are Bagent/grad types just looking to test the waters and see what's out there. I found the report and played around with the numbers a bit. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Great points all around. I was surprised by the low number of portal students who return to their school, but maybe I shouldn't be. There's a reason they're in the portal and maybe a lot of those returners are Bagent/grad types just looking to test the waters and see what's out there. I found the report and played around with the numbers a bit. Interesting stuff.
        Yea...If a player enters the portal, coaches (and fan base) should consider him gone. Random ones might come back, but those will be drastic exceptions to the ruled...Kind of like bringing a 6'3" 200 pound guard and he grows 6 inches and puts on 30 pounds of muscle between his freshman and sophmore seasons (of course, WLU would immediately bench him and he too would enter the portal!!).

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yea...If a player enters the portal, coaches (and fan base) should consider him gone. Random ones might come back, but those will be drastic exceptions to the ruled...Kind of like bringing a 6'3" 200 pound guard and he grows 6 inches and puts on 30 pounds of muscle between his freshman and sophmore seasons (of course, WLU would immediately bench him and he too would enter the portal!!).
          Most coaches will tell a player who entered the portal but now wants to come back ... to go pound sand.

Exceptions, of course, will be made for stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Most coaches will tell a player who entered the portal but now wants to come back ... to go pound sand.

Exceptions, of course, will be made for stars.
            Yep. It's like breaking up with your hot girlfriend to chase the new hotter chick at school. Hotter chick says you have cooties so you start scratching on old girlfriends door asking her to please take you back only she's now dating a better looking version of you.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. In this case, the player wished for the opportunity to play somewhere else...and he got just that...the OPPORTUNITY to play somewhere else!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post
              IUP DT Ayyub Dail has entered the portal with 2 years of eligibility remaining.
              He posted that he's headed to West Chester.

Comment

• West Chester gets a Penn State transfer from Wilson. He was a walk-on at PSU so I guess it felt natural

Comment

• ESU submits a notification of transfer for K/P Nate Reed. Reed enters the portal with 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Comment

• Comment

• Transfers from D2 to D1: https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...HP-latest-news

Comment

• The season is upon us...the portal has been flooded over the last week. One name caught my eye, Ian Sheehan from Ship has entered the portal. He's put up some numbers the last 2 years and I believe was all conference in each of his first two seasons. surprising with the numbers he's put up and Ship having a couple talented young QB's. either way, he will be on everyone's radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post
                          The season is upon us...the portal has been flooded over the last week. One name caught my eye, Ian Sheehan from Ship has entered the portal. He's put up some numbers the last 2 years and I believe was all conference in each of his first two seasons. surprising with the numbers he's put up and Ship having a couple talented young QB's. either way, he will be on everyone's radar.
                          Huge loss for Ship. He'll get a lot of calls.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Huge loss for Ship. He'll get a lot of calls.
                            And so it begins. You have a down season and it becomes that much harder to rebuild. Now Ship will have to replace one of its top two receivers in addition to bringing in some RBs. If he's leaving Shiop, I have to assume he wants to play for a D2 program that is winning now as at his size he is not realistically a D1 or pro prospect.

Comment

• PSAC players I've been told are in the portal:

Bloomsburg: Josh Snipes

East Stroudsburg: Raheem White

Edinboro: Daylen Henderson, Donnell Henderson, Micah Thomas

Kutztown: Jordan Fernandez

Lock Haven: Thomas Kaikai, Idrissa Nikiema

Mercyhurst: Ryan Fisher

Millersville: Teziah Howard

Seton Hill: Brian Caldwell, Alex Colcolmbe, Torbyn Eakins, Jake McCormick, Isaiah Powell-Major, Will Urquia

Shippensburg: Ian Sheehan

West Chester: Maurice Mazzucca

Comment

PSAC players I've been told are in the portal:

Bloomsburg: Josh Snipes

East Stroudsburg: Raheem White

Edinboro: Daylen Henderson, Donnell Henderson, Micah Thomas

Kutztown: Jordan Fernandez

Lock Haven: Thomas Kaikai, Idrissa Nikiema

Mercyhurst: Ryan Fisher

Millersville: Teziah Howard

Seton Hill: Brian Caldwell, Alex Colcolmbe, Torbyn Eakins, Jake McCormick, Isaiah Powell-Major, Will Urquia

Shippensburg: Ian Sheehan

West Chester: Maurice Mazzucca
                                Not surprising in Greensburg. SH is losing a ton due to graduation. They will likely be awful next year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X