Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't think they're only now calling IUP to save face. Most schools are agreeing to 2-year agreements. These 3 and 4 year agreements we're starting to see screw this up somewhat because it limits who is available to schedule for the next 2 year period. Plus similar to what we see with P5/G5 scheduling, IUP isn't going to Franklin Pierce, but they also aren't going to Grand Valley without a guarantee that at least covers travel. I have to guess Tort also would have hesitated to schedule anyone who had anything close to 50/50 chance of winning (like a Grand Valley). An 11th game is ideal but starting 0-1 is not. There's a happy medium there for a school that will pay your expenses, is at least a 50/50 win, and won't be an OWP anchor.
    Not sure I follow. Ashland is certainly capable of playing with IUP. I keep reading on here how some think they are No. 1 in SR1 right now.

That is a premier 4-year agreement in an era where most only want cupcake games.

Granted, Ashland is loaded up this year with upperclassmen. They will take some heavy losses at the conclusion of this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not sure I follow. Ashland is certainly capable of playing with IUP. I keep reading on here how some think they are No. 1 in SR1 right now.

That is a premier 4-year agreement in an era where most only want cupcake games.

Granted, Ashland is loaded up this year with upperclassmen. They will take some heavy losses at the conclusion of this season.
      I'm saying the 4-year agreement takes IUP out of consideration for some other schools looking to schedule them. We're also handicapped that the only week we can do a non-conference game is Week 1. Those extended agreements can bite IUP, too, if it takes someone out of consideration past Ashland. I guess maybe the 3-year agreements like what Edinboro had with GV are harder than 4-year.

Scheduling Ashland is great now - but we don't know where they'll be 2-3 years from now. They could be an SOS anchor in 2024. Unlikely but possible.

Comment

I'm saying the 4-year agreement takes IUP out of consideration for some other schools looking to schedule them. We're also handicapped that the only week we can do a non-conference game is Week 1. Those extended agreements can bite IUP, too, if it takes someone out of consideration past Ashland. I guess maybe the 3-year agreements like what Edinboro had with GV are harder than 4-year.

Scheduling Ashland is great now - but we don't know where they'll be 2-3 years from now. They could be an SOS anchor in 2024. Unlikely but possible.
        Ashland is almost always competitive so I don't think it'll be an issue. As long as they are over .500 it's a help.

Comment

We're also handicapped that the only week we can do a non-conference game is Week 1.
          I am not 100% certain, but I don't think this is true. I seem to remember a situation where some creative schedule-making happened, but I can't think of who in the PSAC did it.

An example: If Youngstown State called Edinboro and said they would play in Week 1 of the PSAC schedule (not "Week Zero"). But Edinboro is scheduled to go to West Chester in Week 1. Edinboro calls West Chester, who maybe doesn't have a Week Zero game lined up, and asks to move from Week 1 to Week Zero. West Chester agrees, and Edinboro gets to collect a check from Youngstown.

I've talked to the commissioner about this before (it's been a few years) but I think I remember him saying the league wouldn't stand in the way of teams doing this.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I am not 100% certain, but I don't think this is true. I seem to remember a situation where some creative schedule-making happened, but I can't think of who in the PSAC did it.

An example: If Youngstown State called Edinboro and said they would play in Week 1 of the PSAC schedule (not "Week Zero"). But Edinboro is scheduled to go to West Chester in Week 1. Edinboro calls West Chester, who maybe doesn't have a Week Zero game lined up, and asks to move from Week 1 to Week Zero. West Chester agrees, and Edinboro gets to collect a check from Youngstown.

I've talked to the commissioner about this before (it's been a few years) but I think I remember him saying the league wouldn't stand in the way of teams doing this.
            That's probably true. I didn't consider that.

Comment

True, but almost every team, actually every team but one this year, has a week 0 game scheduled, so it rarely works out.

Why is the "handicap" of only having week 0 available for non-conference games in place?

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                True, but almost every team, actually every team but one this year, has a week 0 game scheduled, so it rarely works out.
                It absolutely would take some long-range planning. All I'm saying is I think it's possible.

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                Why is the "handicap" of only having week 0 available for non-conference games in place?
                If you're asking why it's Week 0 and not Week 3 or Week 7 or Week 11, I don't know. But I suppose if it was another week there would still be the same problem.

If you're asking why PSAC teams play a 10-game conference schedule, the answer would be that the schools asked for it. It was getting too difficult to fill out a 10- or 11-game schedule when you only have 6-8 league games. I would imagine travel costs went into it, too.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

If you're asking why PSAC teams play a 10-game conference schedule, the answer would be that the schools asked for it. It was getting too difficult to fill out a 10- or 11-game schedule when you only have 6-8 league games. I would imagine travel costs went into it, too.
                  Exactly. The schools got what they wanted, so it shouldn't be viewed as a handicap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                    Exactly. The schools got what they wanted, so it shouldn't be viewed as a handicap.
                    Big conferences can’t have ooc games and play everyone in the conference. There are a bunch of conferences that have none. If you don’t have a marquee ooc game, wouldn’t a 4th crossover be just as good?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Big conferences can’t have ooc games and play everyone in the conference. There are a bunch of conferences that have none. If you don’t have a marquee ooc game, wouldn’t a 4th crossover be just as good?
                      Well if The Lake Show and LIT AF ever bolt for the all private GMAC...we'll probably get a 4th crossover.

Comment

• Seton Hill is the only school I truly despise in the league. Here's to hoping IUP beats the p!ss out of them today.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Well if The Lake Show and LIT AF ever bolt for the all private GMAC...we'll probably get a 4th crossover.
                          Has there been talk of that?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Seton Hill is the only school I truly despise in the league. Here's to hoping IUP beats the p!ss out of them today.
                            IUP shouldn't have much trouble there. What's your problem with Seton Hill?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Has there been talk of that?
                              Message board talk, yes. Reality, no.

They both couldn't wait to join the PSAC after years of horrendously long bus rides, etc. They aren't leaving for the GMAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

IUP shouldn't have much trouble there. What's your problem with Seton Hill?
                                They gooned up a basketball game several years ago which resulted in IUP losing a player to suspension and also we lost a player to a broken wrist on a cheap shot. It was the same team that started a brawl earlier in the year at West Chester.

It was a garbage team with a coach who encouraged it. It ruined IUP's season.

Not to mention I'm tired of hearing about how they can't compete in football because "they actually have academic standards" and can't accept the "state school types".

The PAC would be their perfect home.

So, here's to hoping IUP is interested in this game today.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X