X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Baseball wins the opener against East Stroudsburg, 4-2
    ​​​

Hockey hosts Alabama tonight. I get this is 'club' hockey but that's a long haul
    So UNC-Pembroke cancels for today but ESU can host? I'm not understanding how baseball can be played in the Poconos but not in North Carolina.

Comment

Baseball wins the opener against East Stroudsburg, 4-2
      ​​​

Hockey hosts Alabama tonight. I get this is 'club' hockey but that's a long haul
      It would be nice if the made it a sponsored sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

So UNC-Pembroke cancels for today but ESU can host? I'm not understanding how baseball can be played in the Poconos but not in North Carolina.
        It’s almost 60 degrees!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s almost 60 degrees!
          73 in Pembroke, NC... just saying

Comment

Tell you what, IUP doesn't talk about it but that hockey program has a big following. They easily get more in the gate than all the non-revenue sports and may even do better than women's basketball (occasionally).

I go to several games a year. They are fun, lively and entertaining. IUP's D1 Club team is pretty good. You don't get all the pettiness found at a typical IUP event. I used to call it the best kept secret in town but it's not any more.

They may get 500-700 (or more) in there tonight. For comparison sake, the average PSAC men's basketball teams draws about 250. IUP men's basketball is getting about 1,800 on average.

Comment

There is no Division 2 hockey. They would have to petition to play Division I (what Mercyhurst does). But I can tell you that hockey is VERY expensive when you don't own ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

There is no Division 2 hockey. They would have to petition to play Division I (what Mercyhurst does). But I can tell you that hockey is VERY expensive when you don't own ice.
                It oddly may work in Indiana. This is a big hockey area.

The Johnstown Tomahawks are priced as if they are in the NHL (and parking is a disaster provided you don't get mugged in the meantime).

Comment

It oddly may work in Indiana. This is a big hockey area.

The Johnstown Tomahawks are priced as if they are in the NHL (and parking is a disaster provided you don't get mugged in the meantime).
                  If I remember correctly, the RMU men's & women's programs cost about $1.1 million a year. Scholarships aren't included because they just discounted. Facility costs aren't included because RMU owns their arena. My guess is $1.5 million for two NCAA hockey teams. I'm not sure that could work with IUP's current financial situation.

Comment

73 in Pembroke, NC... just saying
                    When these games are scheduled they’re tenuous. I’m not sure what the details are but it seems either team can back away from it pretty easily. In this case, it could be as simple as IUP not wanting to spend the money to get down there. To get games in up here this time of year is unusual and based on the forecast, they’ll get games in this week too. If there was a foot of snow on the ground here, my guess is they would have traveled to Pembroke.

Comment

Tell you what, IUP doesn't talk about it but that hockey program has a big following. They easily get more in the gate than all the non-revenue sports and may even do better than women's basketball (occasionally).

I go to several games a year. They are fun, lively and entertaining. IUP's D1 Club team is pretty good. You don't get all the pettiness found at a typical IUP event. I used to call it the best kept secret in town but it's not any more.

They may get 500-700 (or more) in there tonight. For comparison sake, the average PSAC men's basketball teams draws about 250. IUP men's basketball is getting about 1,800 on average.
                      IUP won both games winning 5-3 and 5-2.

Comment

• From Ashland's schedule release for 2023 it appears the opener at IUP will be played on Thursday night.

This won't be popular with the bingo crowd but it's a great call by IUP. Night games just have a different vibe at Miller Stadium. If memory serves this will be the first night game at Miller since the Millersville visit in 2018.

IUP played Ashland at night to open the 2017 season ... the famous walk-off 47-yard FG.

Comment

From Ashland's schedule release for 2023 it appears the opener at IUP will be played on Thursday night.

This won't be popular with the bingo crowd but it's a great call by IUP. Night games just have a different vibe at Miller Stadium. If memory serves this will be the first night game at Miller since the Millersville visit in 2018.

IUP played Ashland at night to open the 2017 season ... the famous walk-off 47-yard FG.
                          The Bingo crowd. LOL!

What else do they to do on a nice September evening?

Comment

The Bingo crowd. LOL!

What else do they to do on a nice September evening?
                            Sounds like a perfect evening to me!!!

Comment

Sounds like a perfect evening to me!!!
                              September evening weather can be glorious…perfect for a game.

Comment

From Ashland's schedule release for 2023 it appears the opener at IUP will be played on Thursday night.

Its a GREAT call.

One of the things Slippery Rock does really well is playing all evening home games until the weather cools. That brings out people - but requires a ton of buy-in from people whose job requires them to work a Saturday afternoon/evening.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X