Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

As noted by IUPBigIndians, Ben Schmidt is now a fullback. The issue is that neither Logan Horn nor Jack Krug has ever played in a college game, let alone taken a snap or thrown a pass. If Sexton were to get hurt, would you be comfortable turning to one of them yet?

They like Aiden Spitler and Nicholas Morrison, both of whom redshirted last year, and they are high on the all-state incoming freshman from York Catholic, Nick Andrasi. I think they'll find one they can count on among them.

That's the challenge for Tort and the staff. But they got Jalen Reese a few years ago from Toledo and he turned out to be pretty good. He arrived before Maxwell signed, but he knew they were in the market for a starter.

I guess the downside to this shopping venture is ... while the current two backups have never thrown a D2 pass in a live game ... it's certainly likely the guy they bring in probably has never thrown a pass in a D1 game, either.

If they do sign one, will they cut one of the current backups? Or, perhaps a position change? If I recall, neither can redshirt this year (they already have). Would they carry (4) QBs on the active roster?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I guess the downside to this shopping venture is ... while the current two backups have never thrown a D2 pass in a live game ... it's certainly likely the guy they bring in probably has never thrown a pass in a D1 game, either.
      That's true if your assumption is they will get a DI transfer quarterback. They could get a D2 guy, maybe even one who has playing experience. There is about to be another wave of players entering the portal after spring ball ends.

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      If they do sign one, will they cut one of the current backups? Or, perhaps a position change? If I recall, neither can redshirt this year (they already have). Would they carry (4) QBs on the active roster?
      Tort told me they'd like to have five QBs on the roster, just for practice logistics. He said they'd like a transfer with some experience and probably a high school recruit. He said there are a lot of unsigned high school players out there still.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

That's true if your assumption is they will get a DI transfer quarterback. They could get a D2 guy, maybe even one who has playing experience. There is about to be another wave of players entering the portal after spring ball ends.

Tort told me they'd like to have five QBs on the roster, just for practice logistics. He said they'd like a transfer with some experience and probably a high school recruit. He said there are a lot of unsigned high school players out there still.

How does the salary cap look? Do they have a decent amount of money available?

Sounds like they want a rotation-level defensive lineman out of the portal. I assume that will cost a couple bucks. Any idea what their equivalency target is for 2022?

Comment

• Sounds official. No Week 1 game for IUP.

Some pretty entertaining quotes from Tort in today's Gazette.

Like ... the best Tort quotes of his tenure. He wasn't shy about calling people out. He made some great points. It's pretty clear the outside world knows he has a pretty big team coming this Fall.

No matter how you spin it ... this is extremely disappointing. Good Lord. The first home game is now basically in October.

Comment

Sounds official. No Week 1 game for IUP.

Like ... the best Tort quotes of his tenure. He wasn't shy about calling people out. He made some great points. It's pretty clear the outside world knows he has a pretty big team coming this Fall.

No matter how you spin it ... this is extremely disappointing. Good Lord. The first home game is now basically in October.
            IG article below. I read the whole article. I always read Matt's articles, lol.

It's hard to put a positive spin on it. It's too bad that IUP won't be playing during the first week. It's all conjecture with a lot of pros and cons but I think I would have given more consideration to playing in Sheperdstown. It would have been a big game to start the season. You might weigh the possibility of losing into the decision but when all is said and done I don't think even a loss in that game would hurt much. If we were willing to play them at home we should have considered playing them down there.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...c4f93dca1.html

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's hard to put a positive spin on it. It's too bad that IUP won't be playing during the first week. It's all conjecture with a lot of pros and cons but I think I would have given more consideration to playing in Sheperdstown. It would have been a big game to start the season. You might weigh the possibility of losing into the decision but when all is said and done I don't think even a loss in that game would hurt much. If we were willing to play them at home we should have considered playing them down there.

I agree with you. I know why he wants a home game that week and doesn't have the money to offer a guarantee but it makes it a bit disingenuous to say "nobody wants to dance" with IUP if they do but you don't like the terms.

Comment

How does the salary cap look? Do they have a decent amount of money available?

Sounds like they want a rotation-level defensive lineman out of the portal. I assume that will cost a couple bucks. Any idea what their equivalency target is for 2022?

Comment

Sounds official. No Week 1 game for IUP.

Got to love that article Matt and Tort a perfect match. Sounds like Tort is all business concerning 2022 and is ready to take names and numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree with you. I know why he wants a home game that week and doesn't have the money to offer a guarantee but it makes it a bit disingenuous to say "nobody wants to dance" with IUP if they do but you don't like the terms.

Comment

• Perhaps Kellar's honeymoon is over down there and his time in Glenville may no longer be Wild and Wonderful.

The seat may be getting warm.

Comment

Perhaps Kellar's honeymoon is over down there and his time in Glenville may no longer be Wild and Wonderful.

The seat may be getting warm.
                        I'm sure he doesn't mind. His salary would be the lowest in the PSAC by $20k.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm sure he doesn't mind. His salary would be the lowest in the PSAC by $20k.
                          That may be true but this would be two straight unsuccessful stops.

Comment

• IUP Baseball smashed a walk-off HR to defeat West Liberty this afternoon, 9-7.

The Crimson Hawks are now 15-15.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I can guarantee Ernie didn't want to take a younger team on the road for the first game of the year against probably the best opponent they'd play during the regular season. Understandable considering they just lost about 35 seniors. Wishful thinking, but hopefully they'll get the chance to play them that last week of the season for the PSAC championship and be a bit more seasoned at that point. I get Tort's frustration, but its nothing dissimilar to his handling of the opening week last year. Shepherd didn't want to play a region contender in week 1 this year, so that's why they are going to the NE-10 and play SC State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I can guarantee Ernie didn't want to take a younger team on the road for the first game of the year against probably the best opponent they'd play during the regular season. Understandable considering they just lost about 35 seniors. Wishful thinking, but hopefully they'll get the chance to play them that last week of the season for the PSAC championship and be a bit more seasoned at that point. I get Tort's frustration, but its nothing dissimilar to his handling of the opening week last year. Shepherd didn't want to play a region contender in week 1 this year, so that's why they are going to the NE-10 and play SC State.

I'm sure Shepherd was one of their last 'Hail Mary' phone calls, too.

But, it's no secret Tort has a pretty big team upcoming. They were incredibly young last year -- yet still showed flashes of being very strong (at times). And, of course, they showed their youth, too.

They have a strong team right now. It's safe to assume they will beef it up in the coming weeks, too.

Without a guarantee, of course Charleston is going to opt to drive a couple more hours and probably beat the BOOM SQUAD up in Erie. Glenville State would just be coming here to play the role of sacrificial lamb. Add to it, Kellar needs some wins or his job is soon going to be in jeopardy. So, taking a game against a team that was just 4-7 as opposed to hitting the road to play perhaps the SR1 favorite was a no-brainer. West Virginia Wesleyan or Alderson Boraddus ... same concept. They'd come up here and lose by 55 points. So, of course they wanted paid to do so.

Thankfully, IUP has the 4-year deal locked up with Ashland starting the following season.

IUP's first two games -- both on the road -- aren't gimme types. ESU and Nation's favorite scoreboard will be a challenging road trip. The visit to Shippensburg the following week will be a tough game in front of one of the larger crowds IUP will see all year.

You have to assume they probably split SRU/Cal. Even with all Cal's losses this off-season ... IUP will somehow find another crazy way to lose down in Adamson.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X