Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

IG article below. I read the whole article. I always read Matt's articles, lol.

It's hard to put a positive spin on it. It's too bad that IUP won't be playing during the first week. It's all conjecture with a lot of pros and cons but I think I would have given more consideration to playing in Sheperdstown. It would have been a big game to start the season. You might weigh the possibility of losing into the decision but when all is said and done I don't think even a loss in that game would hurt much. If we were willing to play them at home we should have considered playing them down there.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...c4f93dca1.html
    Great article.....love the quote about most teams might think you are the Indiana of the BIG10. Its toughfor the kids who work hard and deserve that game...whoever it is. Doe the AD have any responsibility in scheduling this game or is it all on the HC?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

IG article below. I read the whole article. I always read Matt's articles, lol.

It's hard to put a positive spin on it. It's too bad that IUP won't be playing during the first week. It's all conjecture with a lot of pros and cons but I think I would have given more consideration to playing in Sheperdstown. It would have been a big game to start the season. You might weigh the possibility of losing into the decision but when all is said and done I don't think even a loss in that game would hurt much. If we were willing to play them at home we should have considered playing them down there.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...c4f93dca1.html
      Matt Burglund - thanks for writing the article on the scheduling situation. Kind of happy to see Coach Tort spelled it out as to how he tried getting a 11th game. Disappointing to see several teams "dodging" IUP. But Tort does not have to worry about this for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskie14 View Post

Great article.....love the quote about most teams might think you are the Indiana of the BIG10. Its toughfor the kids who work hard and deserve that game...whoever it is. Doe the AD have any responsibility in scheduling this game or is it all on the HC?
        Maybe they're not offering enough to the prospective opponent????

Comment

• Comment

• I believe Cal is playing fairmont st. again this year.

Comment

• I believe both schools were advertising scheduling vacancies the same time as IUP. He's kind of right - people don't want to play IUP if they don't have to. But he's also talking about private schools who frequently pay guarantees for away team travel costs. Its possible that it was cheaper for Glenville to play Quincy than IUP.

But I didn't hear him say anything about trying to play FCS or DIII schools. Once again, you can't bemoan being without a partner if you're unwilling to adjust your standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I believe both schools were advertising scheduling vacancies the same time as IUP. He's kind of right - people don't want to play IUP if they don't have to. But he's also talking about private schools who frequently pay guarantees for away team travel costs. Its possible that it was cheaper for Glenville to play Quincy than IUP.

But I didn't hear him say anything about trying to play FCS or DIII schools. Once again, you can't bemoan being without a partner if you're unwilling to adjust your standards.

I'd rather not play a game than play a D3 or FCS game. There's no point to it as it counts for nothing.

If you're going to put your players on the field and risk injury, at least make the game mean something.

Besides that, IUP would have a really hard time getting an FCS game in the quasi-region. St. Francis and Bobby Mo wouldn't play them. Duquesne has taken on the roll of pimped out FBS whore. I'd then assume most D3 schools would want a pretty penny (that IUP doesn't have) to come in here and lose by 70 points.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd rather not play a game than play a D3 or FCS game. There's no point to it as it counts for nothing.

If you're going to put your players on the field and risk injury, at least make the game mean something.

Besides that, IUP would have a really hard time getting an FCS game in the quasi-region. St. Francis and Bobby Mo wouldn't play them. Duquesne has taken on the roll of pimped out FBS whore. I'd then assume most D3 schools would want a pretty penny (that IUP doesn't have) to come in here and lose by 70 points.
                  I disagree on the D3 game. A game is a game, especially a home game. Play Juniata on a Thursday night before Labor Day weekend, pack Miller, make some dough. Start the year off straight. 98% of college football fans think divisions are determined like European soccer leagues.

RMU is doing the same to justify the increased cost of upgrading conferences (Horizon & Big South) during a pandemic while the university is so short on cash its selling its presidents house. They play Miami OH and App State this fall, Air Force in 2023, and WVU in 2025.

Comment

• How did IUP used to do against RMU, Duquesne, and St. Francis? I know we have not played them in years, probably because we always won. Thank you and just wondering

Comment

• Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                      How did IUP used to do against RMU, Duquesne, and St. Francis? I know we have not played them in years, probably because we always won. Thank you and just wondering
                      IUP has never played Duquesne or Robert Morris. They are 1-1 vs St. Francis and the last meeting was 1953.

Comment

• The last two 'practices' ... IUP hammered both of them.

The Duquesne game was so bad they quit keeping score at the break. I think it was 42-0 at half.

That was, guessing, 12-13 years ago.

Comment

The last two 'practices' ... IUP hammered both of them.

The Duquesne game was so bad they quit keeping score at the break. I think it was 42-0 at half.

That was, guessing, 12-13 years ago.
                          Aug. 30, 2007: IUP 36, St. Francis 0
                          St. Francis had 105 total yards and six first downs. IUP scored on a blocked punt return. Krewatch threw 3 TD passes. The IUP defense had seven sacks (SFU had zero).
                          St. Francis' 15 possessions: 13 punts, 1 missed FG and 1 lost fumble.
                          St. Francis went on to finish 3-7.

Aug. 28, 2008: IUP 37, Duquesne 7
                          IUP returned the opening kickoff for a TD, outgained Duquesne 330-134 and held Duquesne to minus-10 rushing yards. The IUP defense had 9 sacks (Duquesne had 1).
                          Duquesne's 13 possessions: 8 punts, 3 INTs, 1 lost fumble and 1 TD.
                          Duquesne also finished 3-7 that year.

These scrimmages were both 60 minutes with a full crew of officials. I was told at the time that if both teams agreed to it, the game would count in the records. (Both sides did not agree to it).
                          http://www.indianagazette.com
                          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Aug. 30, 2007: IUP 36, St. Francis 0
                            St. Francis had 105 total yards and six first downs. IUP scored on a blocked punt return. Krewatch threw 3 TD passes. The IUP defense had seven sacks (SFU had zero).
                            St. Francis' 15 possessions: 13 punts, 1 missed FG and 1 lost fumble.
                            St. Francis went on to finish 3-7.

Aug. 28, 2008: IUP 37, Duquesne 7
                            IUP returned the opening kickoff for a TD, outgained Duquesne 330-134 and held Duquesne to minus-10 rushing yards. The IUP defense had 9 sacks (Duquesne had 1).
                            Duquesne's 13 possessions: 8 punts, 3 INTs, 1 lost fumble and 1 TD.
                            Duquesne also finished 3-7 that year.

These scrimmages were both 60 minutes with a full crew of officials. I was told at the time that if both teams agreed to it, the game would count in the records. (Both sides did not agree to it).
                            Duquesne is a much better team now. I still doubt they would "scrimmage" IUP.

Comment

Sounds official. No Week 1 game for IUP.

Some pretty entertaining quotes from Tort in today's Gazette.

Like ... the best Tort quotes of his tenure. He wasn't shy about calling people out. He made some great points. It's pretty clear the outside world knows he has a pretty big team coming this Fall.

No matter how you spin it ... this is extremely disappointing. Good Lord. The first home game is now basically in October.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Duquesne is a much better team now. I still doubt they would "scrimmage" IUP.
                                The NEC was a non-scholarship conference at the time so it's not an accurate assessment of what would happen today. To be honest, I don't know. Duquesne is discounting the equivalent of 64 scholarships and RMU somewhere around 56. But they're both in higher conferences. I think you have to be at 56 to get money games so maybe SFU is close to that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X