Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jamestown be accepted into the NSIC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Generalizing the Twin Cities is a bunch of lazy garbage. That said, your point isn't wrong that not everyone wants to live in the metro. It's why I chose MSU over Minnesota and UST.
    My statement was Minneapolis which has dramatically changed over the years. I'm not just a country guy having lived in NYC for 5 years back in the 80's when I wore a younger man's clothes. That is a line from a song Laker would know from our youth.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

My statement was Minneapolis which has dramatically changed over the years. I'm not just a country guy having lived in NYC for 5 years back in the 80's when I wore a younger man's clothes. That is a line from a song Laker would know from our youth.
      They’re sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it’s better than drinking alone…

Comment

Are all Minnesota towns and cities in the middle of somewhere?
        Yes. It's called "flyover country" for a reason.

In all seriousness, my favorite band in high school had very strong ties to Mankato. They described it in an MTV interview as being the literal middle of nowhere. (They also said they loved the experience).

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Yes. It's called "flyover country" for a reason.

In all seriousness, my favorite band in high school had very strong ties to Mankato. They described it in an MTV interview as being the literal middle of nowhere. (They also said they loved the experience).

Green Day? They used to play there a ton since Billy Jo’s wife went to MSU and they were dating at the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Green Day? They used to play there a ton since Billy Jo’s wife went to MSU and they were dating at the time.
            Yes.

Billie Joe met Adrienne when she was a student at Hennepin Tech(?) at basement show in Dinkytown. She then enrolled at MSU, and he would book tours through the midwest to see her. Many years after they achieved fame, they were asked on MTV about their all-time favorite show - they all said the impromptu show at a farm in St. Peter was their favorite. It's crazy too because they've played MSG, CBGB's, 924 Gilman, etc., - yet that one was their favorite. The show was recorded and is on YouTube.

I've met Adrienne's brother a couple of times. I never asked about the band though. Didn't want to be "that" guy.

Kato was actually a small hub for some of the Bay Area bands of the early 1990s - AFI, NOFX, Rancid - etc. They all played at Marti's which is (was) on Front Street. It's now the Kato Escape room.

I have no idea how to tie this into the Jimmies, but I love talking about that unique scene and I almost never get too.

Comment

Very popular when I was an undergrad. Mike, one of the guys on our floor in Gage Hall met a gal named Gail and that was their favorite song. Came back after graduation for their wedding. Sadly, they later divorced- which reminds me of another one of his songs- "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" in the part of The Ballad of Brenda and Eddie.

Comment

Kato was actually a small hub for some of the Bay Area bands of the early 1990s - AFI, NOFX, Rancid - etc. They all played at Marti's which is (was) on Front Street. It's now the Kato Escape room.
                I grew up in Mankato and was in HS in the mid to late 90s. There was an abnormal amount of t-shirts from these bands present. Ha.

I think it was maybe Tuesday night shows at Marti’s? I can’t recall exactly, been a year or two. But they certainly had some bands through there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I grew up in Mankato and was in HS in the mid to late 90s. There was an abnormal amount of t-shirts from these bands present. Ha.

I think it was maybe Tuesday night shows at Marti’s? I can’t recall exactly, been a year or two. But they certainly had some bands through there.
                  Yeah. It was a cool time (I'm told). Agent Orange played the What's Up when I was in college - which was the last great hurrah. Of course the What's Up shut down a few weeks ago.

The Offspring was the other big band to come through during thar time.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Generalizing the Twin Cities is a bunch of lazy garbage. That said, your point isn't wrong that not everyone wants to live in the metro. It's why I chose MSU over Minnesota and UST.
                    So is generalizing "the Dakotas", yet here we are 90 pages in.....

Comment

• The Jimmy Women pulled off an upset in the first round of the NAIA tournament.

Comment

The Jimmy Women pulled off an upset in the first round of the NAIA tournament.
                        *Second round too....They are in the Sweet 16 as a 12 seed, next lowest seed still alive are 7 seeds Dakota Wesleyan and Briar Cliff.

The Jimmies face No. 1 seed Marian (Ind) on Thursday in Sioux City

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

*Second round too....They are in the Sweet 16 as a 12 seed, next lowest seed still alive are 7 seeds Dakota Wesleyan and Briar Cliff.
                          ...who are both also in the GPAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

The Jimmies face No. 1 seed Marian (Ind) on Thursday in Sioux City
                            Neat. I just saw an article about the first round, didn't realize they were already through the second.

Comment

Neat. I just saw an article about the first round, didn't realize they were already through the second.
                              Sweet 16 Jimmies!

Comment

• While you guys are trying to extend this thread, (Someone call Guinness, or maybe better yet, Ripley's), I'll try to add some extra discussion. Which current NSIC team loses to the Jimmies in football first? One of the former ND NAIAs would seem likely, but I'm guessing it's one of the old-timers who slip up.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X