Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    Just some thoughts before we all slice our wrist. USI in the second game of the season had several players that had played together for years. We had 6 players that have known each other for three months. Our best played did not play. We out scored them in the second half. I believe USI is a better team they are bigger and have really good freshman. They just beat a D1 on their home court. Do not listen to the haters (the only thing they hate more than themselves is KWC) about this KWC team. They may be a year away but will compete and get better...much better!
    Agree entirely. I do hope Happy brings in a transfer or two at semester break because we need more depth...but by the time the conference season starts we're going to be pretty solid.

Comment

There is not much out there. I can not decide what kind of player we need. Most big bodies are simply not very good. Most 6'6" are skinny and overrated coming out of high school.. In some ways a new player or two may hurt chemistry.

I would not bring anyone in just to bring them in. Wait till next year and get exactly what is needed. Happy knows this year record is not going to get us a bid. He is pointing toward the G-MAC tourney as the only hope. The midwest is loaded this year and we play many of the best. But we will get better!!

Comment

The names do sound familiar. My apologies to Stan the coach at UIndy. I just thought it was him everyone was talking about. So, sorry coach Stan. Live long and prosper.

Comment

BTW, a Facebook post from KWC mentioned the football score after KWC got demolished by ODU. A Facebook responder said, "Time to clean house." It seems like Brent has a key to the Kingdom. He's like teflon Don.

I am a supporter of all things KWC, win or lose, but this year could be the worst athletic year ever. Our only hope is with baseball and softball now. I would really like to know if they are still giving out athletic scholarships.

There was a time not long ago when the BOT was considering dropping the entire athletic department to D3. I wonder if that is where the athletic department is headed?
          Last edited by alumnifan; 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

There is not much out there. I can not decide what kind of player we need. Most big bodies are simply not very good. Most 6'6" are skinny and overrated coming out of high school.. In some ways a new player or two may hurt chemistry.

I would not bring anyone in just to bring them in. Wait till next year and get exactly what is needed. Happy knows this year record is not going to get us a bid. He is pointing toward the G-MAC tourney as the only hope. The midwest is loaded this year and we play many of the best. But we will get better!!
            Well, that's true, but the problem is with the way they are calling fouls this year we're liable to end up playing a 5 guard lineup the last 5 minutes of some game this year because all of our bigs get fouled out.

And it's funny you mention 6'6" and skinny...because Evan Milligan has been outstanding as a walk-on early this year. I honestly think without him on the roster we would have lost the Montevallo game.

Honestly as far as bringing someone in at semester, we really just need someone 6'6" or even 6'5" and solidly built that can take up space in the post, get rebounds, and give the bigs we've got a breather for a couple of minutes at a time. We don't have to be out looking for an Anthony Young or Jeff Fahnbuelleh right now. Although, if one of those is out there I'd gladly take him!

Comment

He FB coach is such a great guy....creates great young men. As I have said gets outcoached most games. This years team is very young and if skill is not there so be it but it drives me crazy to see the team not ready to react to other teams weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                Well, that's true, but the problem is with the way they are calling fouls this year we're liable to end up playing a 5 guard lineup the last 5 minutes of some game this year because all of our bigs get fouled out.

And it's funny you mention 6'6" and skinny...because Evan Milligan has been outstanding as a walk-on early this year. I honestly think without him on the roster we would have lost the Montevallo game.

Honestly as far as bringing someone in at semester, we really just need someone 6'6" or even 6'5" and solidly built that can take up space in the post, get rebounds, and give the bigs we've got a breather for a couple of minutes at a time. We don't have to be out looking for an Anthony Young or Jeff Fahnbuelleh right now. Although, if one of those is out there I'd gladly take him!

Comment

We offer plenty..almost all go elsewhere. many go and sit on the bench or play where record is 10 & 16

Comment

We offer plenty..almost all go elsewhere. many go and sit on the bench or play where record is 10 & 16
                    Just an observation, Several schools in our region doing it. Bellermine, and USI this year. KWC has a good academic reputation, and I can think of worse cities than Owensboro

Comment

Originally posted by Purplebuckeye View Post
                      Just an observation, Several schools in our region doing it. Bellermine, and USI this year. KWC has a good academic reputation, and I can think of worse cities than Owensboro

Comment

I thought this would be a long season.

Comment

Gilmore and Wod will forever be linked together. Both got handed the keys to very expensive cars. Both will have totaled their cars before they are run out of town. Very ironic if you ask me.

Comment

When you have your two best players injured, who are post players, you can expect to lose. Coach Osborne did not cause those injuries.

This season is going to be a mulligan for the coaching staff. A great D2 team absolutely needs four quality players at 6'6" or taller. Then, a good team needs three good guards and forwards between 6'3" and 6'5". The other three guards need to be fast and good ball handlers with good passing and shooting skills. You always need an outstanding three point shooter or three.

All of that is easier said than done when recruiting. This coaching staff will need to evaluate every position and start recruiting and playing now for next season. The best they can hope for this season is to win half of their conference games. I have no idea if or when Harris and Quinn can come back.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                              I thought this would be a long season.
                              Looks like you were right. Losing by 30 points to Lake Superior indicates KWC basketball is a free-falling program. I knew USI beat up on KWC last week, but nothing like this demolition by Lake Superior. Is Osborne is let go/retires who are the frontrunners for the KWC job?

Comment

I have not lost faith in Coach Happy Osborne. The G-MAC is a very good conference. Wesleyan has come upon an athletic season that sort of took them by surprise. KWC needs more athletic funding. The Volleyball team got better and the Spring sports should do OK, but every facet of the department should be evaluated starting with the Director.
                                Last edited by alumnifan; 11-11-2017, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X