Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Gonna need some citation about that. The studies that I saw from a quick Google search (here, here, and here) indicate that girls' soccer is comparable to football, but boys' soccer is quite a bit lower. Regardless, there is much less evidence of long-term brain impacts in soccer, and the popularity of both domestic and international soccer is growing in the US, so it shouldn't be a big surprise that soccer numbers are growing.
    I may have been a bit generous with numbers I heard in an e-book while running. Maybe what the author was saying is that there are a lot of concussions in soccer and a comparison was made to American football. While we're on the subject, a pretty good e-book to check out is The Beautiful Brain by Hana Walker-Brown. It's a story about famous soccer player Jeff Astle and how CTE eventually took him down. Sad story, but informative.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

"It's a strange time," is right. No doubt some of the smaller schools are struggling, but some aren't. Look at tiny Saltsburg for example. They have a roster of 30 kids, and their program is on the rise despite being one of the smallest "A" schools that have football. Blairsville had to send their junior high kids to play there this year due to lack of participation. They could easily win seven games this year. They're legit good.

On the other hand you have the United situation, which is a much bigger school than Saltsburg. Interestingly, United has a soccer team!? That was a shocker to me. It's nice to have a lot of opportunities but there's a breaking point. I wonder if parents know that there are more concussions in soccer than American football? The football participation issue isn't an easy one to figure out, and it seems to be regional.

The five fastest growing high school sports over the last five years according to the National Federation of High Schools:

1. Archery
      2. Competitive Spirit (?)
      3. Rugby
      4. Flag Football
      5. Lacrosse
      Competitive Spirit is competitive cheer/dance. Don't worry - had to look it up myself but it makes sense. I'm at that age when a lot of friends are posting pics of them at the weekend hockey tournament or the big cheer competition in Orlando.

Sports I wouldn't be surprised are dying:

1. Tennis
      2. Gymnastics
      3. Golf

Title IX is keeping field hockey alive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Competitive Spirit is competitive cheer/dance. Don't worry - had to look it up myself but it makes sense. I'm at that age when a lot of friends are posting pics of them at the weekend hockey tournament or the big cheer competition in Orlando.

Sports I wouldn't be surprised are dying:

1. Tennis
        2. Gymnastics
        3. Golf

I guess I could have been more useful and provided the entire document from NFHS. Here it is for those who want to delve into it. Some pretty interesting numbers broken down by state, sport, and gender: 2018-19 HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS PARTICIPATION SURVEY

Comment

I guess I could have been more useful and provided the entire document from NFHS. Here it is for those who want to delve into it. Some pretty interesting numbers broken down by state, sport, and gender: 2018-19 HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS PARTICIPATION SURVEY
          Thanks for this; this is a really interesting link. I want to know more about the single school participating in boys' slow pitch softball.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Thanks for this; this is a really interesting link. I want to know more about the single school participating in boys' slow pitch softball.
            Some schools have competitive bass fishing! I wonder if it just says "BASS" on the back of their varsity jackets. Now that I think about it, I wonder how you earn a letter in that sport.

Comment

Some schools have competitive bass fishing! I wonder if it just says "BASS" on the back of their varsity jackets. Now that I think about it, I wonder how you earn a letter in that sport.
              I don't know but if you think people exaggerate on this site you should check out the bass fishing forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                Field hockey is as much a regional sport as lacrosse, probably more so. But they're real and intense about it in central Pennsylvania hotbeds like Lower Dauphin, Hershey, Lancaster County.

And my oldest friend has put two daughters through D-I schools for free with it -- one to Temple, another a senior now at Michigan State.

Comment

• IUP Ranked 24th after the latest AFCA Division II Coaches Poll

Comment

Here's an example.

Comment

They win money at the college level. This story ties in into paying Footballers.
                      On the college fishing circuit, which is not under the N.C.A.A. umbrella, anglers can compete alongside professionals and win prize money without consequences like a challenge to eligibility.
                      Last edited by IUPMonk; 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• ...and the IndianBearHawks are back in the Coach's Top 25.....at #24.

https://www.afca.com/d2-poll-valdost...s-top-25-poll/

Comment

• Well ... 72 hours later. Any injury updates? I assume Shaq Jones will sit this week with the concussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Well ... 72 hours later. Any injury updates? I assume Shaq Jones will sit this week with the concussion.
                            the tort show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqwShfIVx4I looks like a few guys are dinged, but nothing too serious.

Comment

• I was a little disappointed that Houser was on the participation list, yet got no carries. I hope they don't burn his redshirt on special teams alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Field hockey is as much a regional sport as lacrosse, probably more so. But they're real and intense about it in central Pennsylvania hotbeds like Lower Dauphin, Hershey, Lancaster County.

And my oldest friend has put two daughters through D-I schools for free with it -- one to Temple, another a senior now at Michigan State.
                                And we obviously dig field hockey at Ship, having won the last three Division II titles.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X