Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    When you're talking student attendance, and I know that's not the only part of the discussion, but attendance is down at the Division 1 level too. It's true. Look it up. Students would rather sit in their dorm or apartment and flip between 6 different games on Saturday than show up to their own.
    And ESPN can point to their ratings for third-rate 'participation trophy' bowl games which may draw 10,000 - if they're lucky - as proof that fans will watch any FBS football, even if it's an aforementioned bowl game featuring a pair of 6- or 7-win teams. Yet, most of these athletic departments, regardless of level, would seemingly rake in that TV money than boost live attendance.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Students are purely a bonus at this level. Build the community support. They spend the money, will come regularly and also donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Good ideas and food for thought. Draw a 25 mile radius around the school and target those schools and towns first. Might be a good senior project for advertising and marketing majors. Given the quality of play of the top 20 D2 schools, I also wonder if some DII Athletic departments have also gotten frustrated and given up. However, it is easy for me to say that, since I have not walked a mile in their shoes (budget and staffing limitations). Challenge is can you make the game an "event" without spending much $?
        I think that is a very big part of it. Also, weather we want to believe it or not, an AD position at MOST DII's is not exactly considered a "choice" gig or even one that a young up and comer would pick to pad his resume with. While I'm sure there are exceptions, what most DII's are going to get to pick from are long time coaches at the school looking to "move up" and pad their retirement wallets, coaches/AD's that are "coming home" at the end of their careers but aren't quite ready to retire or a young guy who has been weighed and measured and found lacking for a position in a D1 Athletic Department. Sadly, you probably aren't going to get a lot of innovative, outside the box marketing ideas from that group and probably not a lot that would be much interested in devoting a whole lot of good old fashion "shoe leather" to building the local fan base.

I agree with a poster that noted the NCAA might take issue with giving HS players free game tickets. I think a way around it would be through a "tiered seating" arrangement. "Presidents Box" seating for schools that have them, cost $20/game, "Executive Seating" (Chair back seats between the 40's) cost $10/game, "Club Seating" (Reserved bleachers) cost $5/game and General Admission/Standing Room tickets are free to all current students, alumni and residents of the "tri county area" below the age of 20.

Comment

On the basketball front,
          Ben Howlett assistant reportedly from Ashland..
          Possible transfer from Delaware State coming to visit WL this week..

Not sure who the Wheeling players are that left for Fairmont withWukasch, someone said Hilson and Tham

Comment

That's total B.S. if they are eligible right away after transferring within the same damn conference.

How can WJ grant them a release to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              That's total B.S. if they are eligible right away after transferring within the same damn conference.

Are they seniors? If so, it's possible they're graduate transfers. That's what happened this year at Augie. We had an inter-conference transfer (MSU-Mankato to Augustana), but because he was a grad transfer, he was eligible right away.

Comment

Tham was a sophomore this past season. Hilson was a junior.

Tham would be a major loss for WJ. There's no way Sancomb could sign off on that transfer -- to his (co) freaking rival.

Hilson could fall in to that grad transfer arena ... more and more are graduating quickly.

Comment

Buuuutttt...Within region, I'm guessing you're OK with that?? Hahahaha!!

Could be graduate transfers as Aug points out or it could just be that WJ doesn't restrict its transferring players. Don't officially know how many we are talking about yet, but if it's more than one, it is a bit slimmie on Fairmonts part...even though it's legal.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Grads ... can't do anything about those transfers. Underclassmen in same conference with no penalty ... crock of shiz.

Who's next .. David Dennis to Fairmont or Wheeling?

Comment

Grads ... can't do anything about those transfers. Underclassmen in same conference with no penalty ... crock of shiz.

Who's next .. David Dennis to Fairmont or Wheeling?
                      Or Marco Colombus to Notre Dame?? Some programs just don't restrict their transferring players. Sure, you run the risk of them lighting you up, but that's a risk some coaches are willing to take to give players the freedom to persue what ever type of education they want.

Comment

What percentage of D2 and D1 basketball transfers do you think actually pertain to academics, though? I'd guess less than 10 percent.

Comment

What percentage of D2 and D1 basketball transfers do you think actually pertain to academics, though? I'd guess less than 10 percent.
                          Probably...That's why I said "education" and not degree. Could be a basketball education that in their mind better prepares them to play professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
                            On the basketball front,
                            Ben Howlett assistant reportedly from Ashland..
                            Possible transfer from Delaware State coming to visit WL this week..

Not sure who the Wheeling players are that left for Fairmont withWukasch, someone said Hilson and Tham
                            Have you cleared these rumors with Hill?????? I mean he IS a 12 alum and spent a lot of time at the ASRC!! Hahahahaha!!

I'd like the Del State transfer to be Demola Onfade!!
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              Have you cleared these rumors with Hill?????? I mean he IS a 12 alum and spent a lot of time at the ASRC!! Hahahahaha!!

I'd like the Del State transfer to be Demola Onfade!!
                              Haha, I think I can confirm these on my own this time, boat.. Met the assistant today, his name is Brook Turson..

And sorry, but it's DeVaughn Mallory.. he's actually on campus today.
                              Last edited by Bware2; 04-05-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Bware.....great news. Gatorade player of the year in Delaware his senior year in high school. 6' 7" 200. Finally some size.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X