Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Captain Smith

Titanic

Iceberg

IUP Band

Que the violins

Comment

• I get they want to be an elite marching band. That's fine. But for 3 measley hours a weeks play football songs.

Behind the scenes Curt about wanted to kill that guy. They'd play full force when IUP would be driving in to that endzone. Lol. You know, make it loud for the home team.

Always say ... nothing beat IUP entering the field to Cherokee. They had teams beat before the ball kicked off.

I guess we'll see if Ghostbusters lives to see another day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        I've heard that tension is high in the music department. A bunch of positions were not filled so faculty are taking on more roles. Also heard that all band travel is cut for this year, which is a huge part of the experience for IUP.
        Tensions are high across the university, especially in areas that had big cuts and layoffs

Comment

I get they want to be an elite marching band. That's fine. But for 3 measley hours a weeks play football songs.

Behind the scenes Curt about wanted to kill that guy. They'd play full force when IUP would be driving in to that endzone. Lol. You know, make it loud for the home team.

Always say ... nothing beat IUP entering the field to Cherokee. They had teams beat before the ball kicked off.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Tensions are high across the university, especially in areas that had big cuts and layoffs

Comment

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...0ed_story.html

FSU seems to be doing it in a more respectable way than others.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/semi...oles-nickname/

Comment

I get they want to be an elite marching band. That's fine. But for 3 measley hours a weeks play football songs.

Ghostbusters will live on. Those band geeks don't get it!!! That band director was contagious in his ways!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                  School nicknames that were named after tribes work when there is partnership & approval from the tribe. Sometimes this changes with tribal leadership, see University of North Dakota, but those with other nicknames that were more general (Indians, Warriors, Braves, Chiefs, etc) have had a hard time. I have no sympathy for those who had disrespectful nicknames (Savages, Redskins, etc).

A problematic thing for IUP was that their version of Cherokee contained the FSU Tomahawk Chop theme, at least the version I recall in the 90s and 2000s. Cherokee is an old big band standard and a really fun tune, but problematic because its basically stereotyped musical themes. Did IUP's band ever play Cherokee Nation by Paul Revere & the Raiders? That song's horn riffs would sound awesome with a good marching band.

When I was in 4th grade learning to play an instrument, my teacher offered to transcribe Scotland the Brave for me if I also learned Cherokee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Ghostbusters will live on. Those band geeks don't get it!!! That band director was contagious in his ways!
                      I hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I hope not.
                        Who ya gonna call

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I hope not.
                          Sad to actually think it but Ghostbusters has become like the unofficial fight song.

Crimson Express is worse than a funeral march.

And, they play Ghostbusters about 5-6 times per game.

Comment

Sad to actually think it but Ghostbusters has become like the unofficial fight song.

Crimson Express is worse than a funeral march.

And, they play Ghostbusters about 5-6 times per game.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X