X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post
    Another thing. Edinboro’s bench spent the whole night heavily cheering for those on the field. When IUP came out in the second half they copied that behavior and played much better. I think it really helped to boost morale. Overall I have nothing but respect for that Edinboro team and staff. They played a great game.
    Oddly, the Edinboro sideline seemed to lose all its enthusiasm after halftime. They looked like two different teams, first half to second half. The end of half time management botch seemed to really take the wind out of their sails. Not getting any points there was a killer.

Luckily, I think their talking is what actually woke IUP up. The Hawks did not have a good first half (to say it nicely). It seems they finally got tired of the talk and noise, and physically dominated the second half.

IUP going with that power running game in the second half was a breath of fresh air. It looked like the old days. I sure hope that is the primary offense the next four games.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Houser cleared the 1,000-yard career rushing mark today.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post
    Edinboro played a pretty solid game, just lost to better talent. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Nico looked a lot better at QB when having a full week to prep rather than being thrust into the game for Karst. He’s not a QB1 talent by any means at this point, but at least he didn’t look like a deer in the headlights this week.

IUP is still LOUSY in the first half every game, but I’m sure Tort will tell us Edinboro played exactly like he expected. Must be all the players fault.

Coming into the season I thought they were supposed to be one of our biggest assets, but man our secondary SUCKS!!! Poor tackling and consistently beat long while giving up short passes for free most times. If they stick with their man (assuming they don’t let someone streak past all their coverage) they just watch them catch the ball and bring them down after. Or like we saw today they get beat deep 2 on 1 then get juked out of their shoes for a TD. YIKES!
    Two of Boro's big plays today ... there wasn't an IUP DB within 15 yards.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied
    Another thing. Edinboro’s bench spent the whole night heavily cheering for those on the field. When IUP came out in the second half they copied that behavior and played much better. I think it really helped to boost morale. Overall I have nothing but respect for that Edinboro team and staff. They played a great game.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied
    Edinboro played a pretty solid game, just lost to better talent. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Nico looked a lot better at QB when having a full week to prep rather than being thrust into the game for Karst. He’s not a QB1 talent by any means at this point, but at least he didn’t look like a deer in the headlights this week.

IUP is still LOUSY in the first half every game, but I’m sure Tort will tell us Edinboro played exactly like he expected. Must be all the players fault.

Coming into the season I thought they were supposed to be one of our biggest assets, but man our secondary SUCKS!!! Poor tackling and consistently beat long while giving up short passes for free most times. If they stick with their man (assuming they don’t let someone streak past all their coverage) they just watch them catch the ball and bring them down after. Or like we saw today they get beat deep 2 on 1 then get juked out of their shoes for a TD. YIKES!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Do you think that game settled the locals? The IUP crew seemed much more impressed with Edinboro. I do wish Edinboro could have been at full strength - two of their better OL are out for the year.
    No. Most don't care about IUP winning these types of games. This is at minimum a playoff or bust program. They already busted. Nice for the players to get a W.

Neither was near full strength but I hear ya.

I also thought Edinboro put up a nice fight. They seemed to lose all their mojo at halftime, however.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Nico had a pretty good second half. He really settled in after the break. The conditions were obviously awful but he hit two big TD passes.

Based on the final four games, he should be able to keep them afloat.

Stewart and Houser ran hard today. They dropped some licks in the second half.
    Do you think that game settled the locals? The IUP crew seemed much more impressed with Edinboro. I do wish Edinboro could have been at full strength - two of their better OL are out for the year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Nico had a pretty good second half. He really settled in after the break. The conditions were obviously awful but he hit two big TD passes.

Based on the final four games, he should be able to keep them afloat.

Stewart and Houser ran hard today. They dropped some licks in the second half.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Well IUPbigINDIANS , He may just have a point there. The OL is pretty young to include starting-playing experience and playing time together as a unit. Plus you have RB Stewart still trying to get back to his play 100% physically and mentally from the knee injury, same goes for WR Lockhart. Now you bring in a QB that still needed some developing AND learn a new system. So maybe Tort has a point. But again, that is Tort not putting any blame on his staff, who deserve some blame on this season.
    You know how many teams would have died to have that offensive roster back in August? A lot.

That should have been a juggernaut in my opinion. But, all hindsight now.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-14-2023, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

That is a pretty amazing comment. It sure made me do a double-take when I read it. For further clarification, here's all the 'new guys' they had to deal with on offense:

Karst Hunter (QB) - Was the top-rated D2 QB available in the Transfer Portal per many. Also had several FCS offers.

Derek Lockhart (WR) - Was injured in first half of first game at IUP in 2022, so, yes, he was technically a new player. Highly-decorated career at California prior to IUP.

Quinn Zinobile (WR) - D1 transfer, grad student, previously very successful stint in the PSAC. Had offers from every big D2 team around.

Kelechi Okoro (OL) - In his fourth year of college ball

Daric Cotman (OL) - Transfer from UVA-Wise with nearly 30 college games under his belt.

This 'year away' offense also returned:

Dayjure Stewart (RB / Junior)
    JD Younger (RB / Sophomore)
    Adam Houser (RB / Junior)
    Randy Washington (RB / Junior)
    Parker Gregg (RB / Sophomore)

Hilton Ridley (WR / Junior)
    Isaiah Houser (WR / Sophomore)
    Daniel Deabner (WR / Junior)

McLean Djouha (OL / Graduate)
    Gerald Comedy (OL Junior)

Cole Laney (TE / Junior)

Now, when one reads that list -- with knowledge of these players' pedigree and past successes -- does that really seem like a 'year away' unit?
    Well IUPbigINDIANS , He may just have a point there. The OL is pretty young to include starting-playing experience and playing time together as a unit. Plus you have RB Stewart still trying to get back to his play 100% physically and mentally from the knee injury, same goes for WR Lockhart. Now you bring in a QB that still needed some developing AND learn a new system. So maybe Tort has a point. But again, that is Tort not putting any blame on his staff, who deserve some blame on this season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

IUPbigINDIANS , I agree with IUP24 in that the timeout situation is what changed this team. Instead of taking at least some of the blame, the coaching staff threw everyone else under the bus and blamed them. I am sure a lot the vets on the team are sick of getting blamed for everything, which has (again) started messing with team chemistry on the field.
    Without question the whole season changed at that moment. What was said on Tort's show 48 hours later was the final nail in the coffin. As I said earlier, the balloon popped.

In the little illegal gambling ring many of us bet on the games just for fun. The line today is IUP -3.5 and the money is nearly even. Think about that. These are all IUP people. That means half the bets are taking Edinboro.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Doesn’t matter who you are a comment like this pisses you off. I’ve said it for the better part of 6 years this is who this guy is. He’s always come off to me as an arrogant bumbling moron that never demonstrated the ability to develop talent, discipline or culture. I wouldn’t trust the dude with my bicycle for the weekend let alone developing my 18-22 year old child for 4 years. Comments like this make it easy to understand why his teams have no accountability, their leader doesn’t.
    We're going to see if this team has any character in a couple hours. As for Tort, he needs to stop talking. Every show and interview makes him sound worse.

I have absolutely no expectations today. I wouldn't be surprised if, with no pressure now, they look fairly good today. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if they go through the motions and lose. Unfortunately, that's the state of the program right now.

These Edinboro types don't care that IUP is 3-3. They don't get many chances like this. We're going to see the Scots' best effort today.

Hopefully the 'year away' IUP offense can muster a couple TDs (and make an extra point), and the defense that is 100 percent prepared (so we hear) can make all its assignments.

​

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I've not watched every game. But I just don't think this team is very good. I think it's just average.

To add... I'll agree. The timeout situation was likely a turning point in their season, despite it being week 2. It'll be interesting to see how Miami comes out this week after the non-kneel down debacle last Saturday. You can't predict that. Teams can lose focus and belief if they don't have the belief in their head coach. I get that.

You can cut this up a million ways. At the end of the day... Their OL has been bad all year. Their QB play has been subpar. They don't appear to be a great offensive team as a unit. They aren't generating turnovers defensively. They are missing assignments everywhere in the secondary. That's their team.

I understand the 10,000 ft view question of "what happened?" That said, I'm not sure they get boat raced 28-0 in the first quarter by SRU because their feelings were still hurt from the ESU timeout situation. That's excuse making or trying to pinpoint something. At this stage of the year, and with the sample size we have, it's okay to say that they just aren't that good. They were hyped up. They brought in highly-recruited transfers. It just hasn't worked out. And when teams perform like IUP has this year, it's never just one thing.
    IUPbigINDIANS , I agree with IUP24 in that the timeout situation is what changed this team. Instead of taking at least some of the blame, the coaching staff threw everyone else under the bus and blamed them. I am sure a lot the vets on the team are sick of getting blamed for everything, which has (again) started messing with team chemistry on the field.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by CUlater View Post

Doesn’t matter who you are a comment like this pisses you off. I’ve said it for the better part of 6 years this is who this guy is. He’s always come off to me as an arrogant bumbling moron that never demonstrated the ability to develop talent, discipline or culture. I wouldn’t trust the dude with my bicycle for the weekend let alone developing my 18-22 year old child for 4 years. Comments like this make it easy to understand why his teams have no accountability, their leader doesn’t.
    My biggest criticism of Torts is he does come off as Joe Yinzer…..like Namath minus the broads and the party hose…who lucked into one big win and never could get close to it ever again.

Leave a comment:

• CUlater
    replied

Well, I think that's a P.R. spin on his behalf to the local yocals who don't really follow the team real closely.

Exact quote:

"Before the season, I thought we were a year away with all the new guys on offense, and I was right."

Good Lord. No wonder they are 3-3.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X