Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've encountered (and I'm sure others have) guys who put down any efforts to make rules more protective of players as turning football into some sort sissified version of the game. I usually suggest to them that they go to a D1 or NFL practice and tell these guys their views on the matter. I remember Dennis Quaid, while filming "Everybody's All-American," shot a football scene in full gear. For realism's sake, he took an actual hit from one of the cast members — former NFL linebacker Willie Lanier. It did not go well. If I remember correctly, Quaid ended up with a couple of cracked ribs — from a single hit.

With today's bigger, faster players, it's a good thing the rules have been modified. Back in the '50s and '60s when I started watching football, stuff such as clotheslining was not illegal. Receivers who tried to run routes over the middle against players like Dick Butkus usually weren't anxious to do it again after getting a forearm shot in the throat.

Comment

• Then there’s this:

A high school student-athlete died Thursday after suffering a medical emergency and collapsing during a varsity flag football game at her school, authorities said Friday. The Clark County coroner identified the girl as Ashari Hughes, 16, and reported that a determination of her cause and manner of death was pending. Desert Oasis High School Principal Ian Salzman said in an email that campus staff members immediate- ly provided medical aid after Hughes collapsed, until paramedics arrived during the school’s home game against Valley High School, the Las Vegas Review-Jour- nal reported.

What a sad situation, but very likely that there was an undiagnosed condition that led to it. I find that the morons complaining about the NFL being “sissified” either never played the game themselves, or, likely couldn’t get through a local high school game let alone a single hit in the NFL. Now if someone wants to talk about the inconsistency of how roughing the passer is called, I’m all for that.

Comment

• Great title game.

Good Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Great title game.

Good Lord.
          I think the OSU-Georgia game was the actual title game. How Harbaugh managed to lose to TCU is one for the books — probably one of the worst of his several bad bowl performances. Big 12 teams still don't seem to have a clue about defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think the OSU-Georgia game was the actual title game. How Harbaugh managed to lose to TCU is one for the books — probably one of the worst of his several bad bowl performances. Big 12 teams still don't seem to have a clue about defense.
            Having a long time to prepare served TCU well versus Michigan, plus a number of big breaks during the game. If they played Michigan 10 times they’d probably win once. Georgia and TCU aren’t even playing the same game. You could see the strength and speed difference right away and you knew it had a chance to get ugly. This is another reason a larger playoff field is warranted. TCU probably doesn’t survive a 12 team playoff to get to the final. TCU likely would have had three or four losses in the SEC. If TCU and LSU were playing, I expect LSU would be favored and would likely win, and they finished 16th in the polls. TCU lost to Kansas State, which finished 11th. Looking at the top 10 of the final poll, I’m not sure TCU would be favored over any of those teams.

Comment

Great title game.

Good Lord.
              Waste of time. Would've been better off having Bama in there. They'd compete.

Comment

• TCU looked kind of like an SR1 team that used everything it had to squeak through the semis and then ran into a wall when they had to do it again.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
                  TCU looked kind of like an SR1 team that used everything it had to squeak through the semis and then ran into a wall when they had to do it again.
                  Really surprised about that outcome. Assumed Georgia would win but by a much, much closer margin.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Waste of time. Would've been better off having Bama in there. They'd compete.
                    Penn State, third in the B1G East, would have given Georgia a better game than TCU. Their secondary is much better.

I'm worried about the effect NIL will have on D1 football, but there is also the chance the upcoming 12-team playoff will spread the wealth a little and result in a shift in recruiting that will end the dominance of the game by a half-dozen super teams. For the sake of the game, I certainly hope so.

Comment

Penn State, third in the B1G East, would have given Georgia a better game than TCU. Their secondary is much better.

I'm worried about the effect NIL will have on D1 football, but there is also the chance the upcoming 12-team playoff will spread the wealth a little and result in a shift in recruiting that will end the dominance of the game by a half-dozen super teams. For the sake of the game, I certainly hope so.
                      Penn St would've got mauled too. Georgia way bigger, stronger, faster and more talented. It's not close.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Really surprised about that outcome. Assumed Georgia would win but by a much, much closer margin.
                        I thought the Vegas line of 12.5 was about right. Georgia was the best team for most of the season (there was a slow stretch for them mid-year where OSU/Michigan/Tennessee looked comparable but by CCG time UGA had retaken the lead in my eyes). TCU wasn’t a bad team but they played way too many close games and had too many come from behind wins for me to really believe in them. This is just another in a string of punching bag performances by Big 12 teams in the CFP. Hard to argue that the early playoff era has been anything but a disaster for that conference between the playoff showings and their two most notable members planning to bolt for the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Penn St would've got mauled too. Georgia way bigger, stronger, faster and more talented. It's not close.
                          They certainly wouldn't have been beaten 65-7. Dawgs would have been able to run on them, but their secondary is much superior to TCU's. They actually outplayed Ohio State for three quarters until making crucial mistakes in the fourth. Georgia was no faster than Ohio State — the only way they stopped Harrison was when he got knocked out of the game. What Georgia does have is an excellent head coach. They'll be around for a while.

Comment

They certainly wouldn't have been beaten 65-7. Dawgs would have been able to run on them, but their secondary is much superior to TCU's. They actually outplayed Ohio State for three quarters until making crucial mistakes in the fourth. Georgia was no faster than Ohio State — the only way they stopped Harrison was when he got knocked out of the game. What Georgia does have is an excellent head coach. They'll be around for a while.
                            73 of 85 scholarship players for UGA were Rivals 4-stars or above.

Comment

I believe that will happen. It’s easier for the See Everyone cheat schools get the best recruits because they are dominating a 4 team chosen playoff field. Conference title games need to stay and automatic bids awarded.

Comment

73 of 85 scholarship players for UGA were Rivals 4-stars or above.
                                Something I'd love the NCAA require is having schools disclose how many walk-ons they have on the roster for FBS. If they're limited to 85 full scholarships and everyone must get a full ride or nothing, then tell us how many kids you've conned into paying $25k a year to practice with the team. I believe the 125 roster cap was eliminated for FBS.

With the new transfer rules, the NCAA also lifted the FBS recruiting cap of 25 new players a year.

NIL is still young and we have yet to see if it will benefit those lesser schools in prime locations.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X